Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-21-2005, 07:04 PM

Default QJo ISOLATION RAISE ATTEMPT GONE WRONG?

sb (28/14/1/50%) has raised some weak aces in mulitway pots and some other weak hands in horrible position. hes called down and led w/nothing, sometimes A-high. basically, havent seen many legit hands from him. mp2 is a complete donk.

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

goal was just to isolate mp2, getting 3-bet sucked but still thought my hole cards are live.

Flop: (10.00 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

planned to peel 1 and evaluate.

Turn: (6.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

well, i just didnt think a raise would make him fold or if i can actually value bet this considering he actually may have some hand since he keeps betting out of position and if he does have garbage it induces another bluff.

River: (8.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero...

does this pot warrant a call? highly likely he calls one back if i bluff-raise. or a fold and give him credit for a better hand? thoughts?
Old 12-21-2005, 07:15 PM

Default Re: QJo ISOLATION RAISE ATTEMPT GONE WRONG?

Why the caps in the thread topic?

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

goal was just to isolate mp2, getting 3-bet sucked but still thought my hole cards are live.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'd want something a little stronger to isolate with, especially if the SB is a time bomb, but whatever.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (10.00 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

planned to peel 1 and evaluate.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fine.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: (6.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

well, i just didnt think a raise would make him fold or if i can actually value bet this considering he actually may have some hand since he keeps betting out of position and if he does have garbage it induces another bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yes you can raise for value! The flop didn't help him for sure, and unless he has AJ/KJ or an overpair you're almost certainly ahead. I'm pretty sure you fare favorbly against his rather loose raising standards, so raise it up. Play poker if he 3-bets.

[ QUOTE ]
River: (8.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero...

does this pot warrant a call? highly likely he calls one back if i bluff-raise. or a fold and give him credit for a better hand? thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't you call this? Don't tell me you're scared of the flush, and this isn't exactly some new source of aggression you're facing.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:28 PM

I think you have to raise the turn for value. If he re-raises, then I you have a major problem. I'd call and fold the river UI. As played you have call the river.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:43 PM

Raise the flop, bet/raise the turn
Old 12-21-2005, 07:49 PM

I don't understand raising the flop either. With only 2 people in it's not for value, and we don't have the best hand right now.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:57 PM

We're up against two monkeys, we have 2 overs and a gutshot to the nuts in a decent pot. Raising isn't gonna knock anyone out, but it'll give us the option of a free card if we miss.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:03 PM

Don't isolate with that crap. But now you're in this situation:

Call the flop.
Free showdown raise the turn.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't isolate with that crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

At what point (which hands) do you start isolating?

If you are going to wait until you have KQ then you would be raising most of the time anyway and not just to isolate a known fish. You have to lower the standards a bit to call it an isolation raise.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't isolate with that crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

At what point (which hands) do you start isolating?

If you are going to wait until you have KQ then you would be raising most of the time anyway and not just to isolate a known fish. You have to lower the standards a bit to call it an isolation raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm in MP, I definitely want something that has a chance should I get coldcallers behind me.
In LP QJo is fine. In MP, QJs would be a minimum for me.

If you do do this, and you get caught, you had better be prepared to play tight for the next 100 hands or so.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:21 PM

OP's in the CO, isolating w/ QJo is fine...

[ QUOTE ]
If you do do this, and you get caught, you had better be prepared to play tight for the next 100 hands or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, wtf?