Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-21-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Blumpkin vs. Emery

Should I have raised 5th here?

7 Card Stud High ($20/$40), Ante $2, Bring-In $5 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.50 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.75 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___raises

5th Street - (3.38 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (5.38 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

River - (7.38 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

Total pot: (7.38 BB)
Old 12-21-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Blumpkin vs. Emery

I think I like a raise on fifth, probably taking the free card on sixth. Of course, he's not going to give you a free card when he pairs his Ace, but that's another matter. Everything else looks fine, except for the part about you not hitting on the river.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:57 AM

I raise 3rd in this shorthanded environment. Just calling makes a three flush a much more obv holding for you - raising can mean many different hands and open more doors later. I like 4th. Fifth is an automatic raise. You're not getting reraised by dry aces and have tons of outs if behind. 6th and 7th play themselves.

Jeff
Old 12-21-2005, 01:08 AM

Okay, this hand is dumb. I was thinking too much during the hand. Fifth is an obvious raise. End of discussion, let's move on.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:09 AM

Fold fourth. Four flushes really suck when they're live like yours is. It also isnt good that Mike bet into you again. I put him on quads. Definitely fold fifth. You have nothing but that lousy four flush still and the pair of "suicide kings". You know why they call them that, right? Because its suicide to continue if you hold them. And mike hits an ace and bets into you.....I smell quads. You butchered this hand, fish.

Ok...Ok.... You should have raised fifth, but you already know that. Your third street call (as opposed to raising), coupled with your fourth street raise, coupled with the fact that diamonds were really live, convinced me you were far most likely on a four-flush than anything else. You should have known I knew all this as well. Armed with this knowledge you should now know that that bet with the ace on fifth dosent necessarily mean it hit me, but rather that I dont want you getting a free card. Even if it did hit me you have a truckload of outs here. I'm glad I won this pot though. I think its the only one I won all night in that game........ [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Mike Emery
Old 12-21-2005, 01:02 PM

Nice post.