Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-18-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Mediocre hands from the blinds

Party 500K. 240 players left, we've made our money back but the big money is still a fair ways off. Blinds have just goneto 500/1000. I have 14K and the villain in both these hands has the exact same.

Hand 1. 3 folds and MP raises to 3K. FOlded to me in the BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Do you play?

Hand 2. 4 folds to same guy who raises to 4K. FOlded to me in the SB with T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Do you Raise, call or fold? What do you think the significance of the extra 1K raise is?
Old 12-18-2005, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Mediocre hands from the blinds

Hand 1:

Any reads on these guys? This is an exact situation where read dictates my play. With no read at all, I probably fold and wait for a better spot. But if this guy has been opening with JT+, QT+, KT+, Ax, or any PP, then obviously I'm pushing.

Hand 2:

Hard to say the significance of the 1K raise. All else equal, I have found some guys raise a little more with a more vulnerablee holding (i.e., a hand they'd rather not see a flop with). Again, without a read, we really can't just guess what the extra 1K means. What it DEFINITELY does mean is there is an extra 1K in the pot, giving you even more reason to push with the TT. Either way, TT against an open-raiser, I am pushing almost always.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:13 PM

I would have to say the entire table had been pretty tight. I hadn't seen a really poor hand showed down yet.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:31 PM

hand 1: given 3 folds in front and high blinds, i think MPs range could be rather wide here. tough spot for you with ATs but i think it's close between folding or raising all-in. i think flat-calling OOP for that much of your stack is a clear mistake unless you are going to stop-and-go (which could work but i'd much rather have a pair in that situation).

hand 2: not sure if anything can be determined by the extra 1k but if anything can, i'd say it's less likely that you're up against a pair that dominates yours (because those usually want to encourage action - although QQ or JJ are possibilities) and more likely that it's a pair that you dominate or an unpaired hand. with the money so far away and blinds increasing, i think TT is too good to fold here HU so i think your choices are between re-raise all-in or stop and go.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:52 PM

1. bleh. this looks similar to the hand billyjex posted and Aplus did the math for, he said that a push was profitable with any two cards. I think the villain in that hand had been stealing recently, so maybe his range was a bit wider, but i think a push here should be good.

2. I think this hsa to be a push, i think the extra 1k might be a slightly smaller (better) range for him, but not small enough that you're behind it. And calling 4k of your 13k stack doesn't seem good, and a stop and go w/ TT would only get hands you have killed to fold.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a stop and go w/ TT would only get hands you have killed to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

first, i don't think that's true (e.g. does 88 fold on a 7 high flop? does AKs always fold on rag flop? or with a draw?)

second, the pot is big enough that winning the pot is the primary objective. it's ok if worse hands fold. you'd rather have your opponent only see 3 cards and win the pot than lose the pot after they see all 5 cards.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

first, that's not true (e.g. does 88 fold on a 7 high flop? does AKs always fold on rag flop? or with a draw?)

second, the pot is big enough that winning the pot is the primary objective. it's ok if worse hands fold. you'd rather have your opponent only see 3 cards and win the pot than lose the pot after they see all 5 cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

stop and go is terrible here. there are exactly 0 hands that have you beat preflop that will fold on any flop. I mean, what's the point? If you're going to push any flop anyway, might as well get all-in now as a favorite.

easy push with a 14BB stack and pocket 10s.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:23 PM

Default The Stop n Go

In a situation like this where you have a hand like 1010, the point of the SnG is not to get a better hand to fold really. Rather its to maybe, but not likely get a better hand to fold, but at the same time shut out overcards from seeing the turn and river, increasing the frequency with which you win the pot.

That said, the 1010 hand here should still be a push i think.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

first, i don't think that's true (e.g. does 88 fold on a 7 high flop? does AKs always fold on rag flop? or with a draw?)

[/ QUOTE ]

meh. you're ahead of too many hands here. maybe i'll do the math later and see which wins the pot more often.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stop and go is terrible here. there are exactly 0 hands that have you beat preflop that will fold on any flop. I mean, what's the point? If you're going to push any flop anyway, might as well get all-in now as a favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

with that logic, when if ever, would you advocate using a stop-and-go?