Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-21-2005, 11:14 PM

Default First Post: Hand from Stars 500K

Hi all. This is my first post here. I've been studying the Dan Harrington books and I think that they've really improved my game.

During yesterday's Stars 500K tournament, this hand came up:
Average stack is around T7500. About 1/3 of the field remaining.

Relevant stacks:
UTG+1: T11300
Hero (Cutoff-1): T23600
Villian (Button): T14300

No read on villian. UTG+1 has been very loose and aggressive, opening a lot of pots for a raise.

Big Blind=T600; Ante=T50 (9 handed)

UTG+1 opens for T1800. Like I said, he's been raising a lot of pots. I re-raise to T6200 with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (of course, usually I will fold in this spot). Villian on the button then moves all in for T14300. UTG+1 folds, and the action is on me.

The pot size is T23650. It's T8100 to call. I folded.

On further consideration, I think that I should have called. I was getting 2.92:1 pot odds. If I think that his range of hands is AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK, then I am a 2:1 underdog.

If I think that he will move all in with AK only half the time, and also with AA, KK, QQ, then I am a 2.31:1 underdog.

I feel that these are appropriate hand ranges, perhaps even a little conservative (especially since Villian could have been executing a squeeze play with a weak hand, putting UTG+1 in what Harrington calls a sandwich).

My conclusion is that I should have called. Thoughts?

LionelHutz
Old 11-21-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: First Post: Hand from Stars 500K

did you ever think of limping with that preflop OOP? villain still has to play, and he may notice what UTG+1 is doing and try to resteal against him by pushing.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1 opens for T1800. Like I said, he's been raising a lot of pots. I re-raise to T6200 with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (of course, usually I will fold in this spot).

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably should have folded this time also. Even if the early raiser had been opening alot of pots.

If you want to play - give him a call. He might have a good hand already, re-raising gives him a real good chance to bust you with his good one and easily get away from his bad ones. Even if he makes what most would consider a "bad call" with QJ or TK - it is a solid call with good odds.

Another reason to call is that you dont mind the extra action from the blinds and LP players with 66. No set no bet. This could/should have been an easy hand to play with minimal chips at risk. 6200 chips is a huge raise with 66 (given the stack sizes and your chip position).

Once the button pushed you were much too involved in the hand. I would call here and pray for AK.

Bleh.

Welcome to the forums.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:33 PM

Sorry if I was unclear from my post. I realize that re-raising pre-flop is not the conventional play here. But my question here is about calling the all in. It is counterintuitive to call off that many chips with just a pair of sixes. However, I find that the pot odds justify a call. Does anyone have any thoughts on the decision of whether or not to call the all in?

LionelHutz
Old 11-21-2005, 11:38 PM

Ugh, I would puke, then call. 3-1 is pretty, and I think AK is in his range. Then again, if hes a total weak tightie its not.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:39 PM

re read

[ QUOTE ]
Once the button pushed you were much too involved in the hand. I would call here and pray for AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

The big problem with the hand had already been made. It has tied you into making another tough/marginal pre-flop decision. Most of the time the only hands push to a raise and re-raise are monsters.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:43 PM

Wow, good first post. I think the odds mandate a call, but it sure is a sticky situation. I think I call here. Any read on villian 2 (the pusher)? There are definitely players, even in the 500k, who will stick it in there with KQ and AQ as well. Not to mention a (ballsy) squeeze play with air. Sure looks like a call, although it seems like spewing. Just an ugly situation.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:33 AM

I think this is a fold, even with those good odds. If someone sees a raise & a reraise in front of them and still decides to push. . . I think they show you AA-QQ 90% of the time.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:19 AM

No way its AA-QQ 90%. If you throw JJ and TT in the mix its closer but he still could make this move with AK. Remember villain knows that first raiser is very loose and he also knows that you could be trying to take advantage of that with a marginal hand. There is a small (but not irrelevant)chance that he has a AQ or something a little worse. Very difficult with no reads.

Tough situation but I think it demands a call.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:30 AM

From what I see i dont think we're in as bad of a situation as some think...I certainly don't think it's great, but almost 3:1 odds...and also if my calculations were right, the all-in raiser was in what harrington calls the orange zone...in which case he should be looking to make a move soon...i would definitely call expecting him to have a higher pair, but wouldn't be surprised to see 2 overcards...just my two cents