Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 11-06-2005, 08:53 PM

Default Should this have been protected on the flop?

I feel like slowplaying this was ok. Comments?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls $2.75 (All-In).

River: (15.18 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+2 folds.

Final Pot: 16.18 BB
Old 11-06-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Should this have been protected on the flop?

Nope. You want people in. Any ace will never fold any any pocket pair you want to call one much more than you want them to fold to two. Your only concern is how to get as much money as possible in.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:05 PM

Not bad. Any villain is drawing to 2 or 3 outs at most. What the hell are you doing short-stacked, though? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2005, 09:11 PM

I think the slowplay on the flop is fine, but on the turn I think you need to raise. You'd love to go to war with an Ace (which it looksl like you did. On a side note, you should avoid starting a hand with only 5 BB in your stack - looks like it may have cost you a few bets on the river (forgive me if you already know this).
Old 11-06-2005, 09:15 PM

I'd like this play more if he flop came KK5. With AA5 I worry about the fact that lose players play A-trash which gives you some risk of getting burned by Aces full of trash. As a result I probably don't slow play this board.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:23 PM

*grunch*

I think the slowplay is ok because it meets most/all of the conditions of correct slowplay:

1) You have a very strong hand
2) It's a small pot
3) The player directly on your right bet

A set on the flop (even bottom set) is monsterish - it is good multi-way, there is no need to knock out opponents. Obivously the AA on the board devalues the set a little.

If this were checked to us I would bet it vice checking though - no need to miss bets. Same goes if the pot were bigger. But, since others are willing to do our betting for us and there is no way we are going to knock out someone holding an A anyway, wait for the turn.

p.s. Having to go all-in is very bad on this hand.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Having to go all-in is very bad on this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. Trust me it sucked. I've been on a ~160BB downswing over the last 3,390 hands. Basically this almost wiped out everything I have in PP. All my other cash was on 2 other tables. I'm praying this thing is over soon. I've been wanting to vomit over being beat with garbage so much. You really do start to see monsters under the bed when you can never bet or raise without running into a brick wall.

Only thing I can do is study up and look for leaks I guess...
Old 11-06-2005, 09:41 PM

Looks good to me.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A set on the flop (even bottom set) is monsterish - it is good multi-way, there is no need to knock out opponents. Obivously the AA on the board devalues the set a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those two aces turn our set into a full house, making our hand fairly close to invincible (Barring the 4-outer that a lone ace can hit).

IMO the biggest mistake that the OP made was not having enough on the table to extract the maximum value.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those two aces turn our set into a full house...

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, how did I miss that? Oh yeah, see my posts about drinking scotch tonight! At least I didn't say fold.