Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 12:32 AM

Default Did I have blood in my eyes?

Hi. First time poster here.

Background: I was playing in a really badly structured MTT - 8 tables, tables weren't combined until each had a winner. Basically two sit'n'gos.

It was heads up, with blinds at 6-12. I had about 200 chips, villan had about 350. He raises to 20, I look down at A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the button and re-raise to 60. He calls.

Flop comes T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and two rags. No real possibilities for straights or flushes. I check, he raises to 100 and I move all-in, hoping to take it down there. No cards come and I go home.

My question is this: did I play the hand too agressively? He wasn't a great player, and I put him on something like AT or KQ. We were only two hands into heads-up play. I know I could have outplayed him over the long haul - was I too eager to double up and take control of the game? How should I have played this?
Old 11-05-2005, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Did I have blood in my eyes?

If you have a post-flop edge over this player, you certainly didn't play like or show it. If you believe yourself to be a stronger player, then you want to slow the game down. You really don't want to have him pushing a low PP PF here, so I don't raise here. I call. Now when a player bets out on the flop, it usually indicates that he has paired weakly. AT isn't a good guess, but he still has me drawing to 3-6 outs, so I fold. But yeah, if you believe you have an edge, take steps to keep the pots small.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My question is this: did I play the hand too agressively? He wasn't a great player, and I put him on something like AT or KQ.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your range is way too narrow. HU, he could have almost any 2 here. He could easily have hit that flop, and hit it hard.

Your PF reraise is OK (Although I probably would have pushed all-in), but on the flop -- think about it. After your check, he bet 100. You have 140 left. There is no way he's folding for your last 40, and odds are very high you're behind.

You have 2 reasonable options on this flop: lead with an all-in push, or check/fold. Personally, I'd go with the latter if you think you can outplay him.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:21 AM

this is fine.

i personally would've reraised all-in, but this is fine also.

welcome to the forum.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:15 AM

First off, thanks for the replies.

I'll be the first to say my post-flop skills aren't the best. Overall, I'm a weak amateur at best.

A few questions: from his small pre-flop raise, what range of hands should I have put this guy on? And which of those hands would have called my raise? Why was putting him a somewhat iffy hand like ATo or KQo wrong?
Old 11-05-2005, 03:35 AM

You are HU and he is first to act. He could have a HUGE range of hands from AA to 46o. We know nothing. When he calls your reraise, you can narrow that range down somewhat. That is, 46o is usually not out there anymore. HU is a different beast. Very hard to put your opponent on a hand. Limit is a little different because it allows more raises. Basically. Every bet, raise, call, check you see allows you to get a tighter and tighter range on your opponent. You get to see more in limit. In NL, after 3 raises all the money may be in the pot. Which is, amusingly, exactly what we have here. FYI, I could have called your reraise with as little as 57s. I have position and a tightened range for you, so I feel can call with this garbage.