Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 01:56 PM

Default A hand from the 2+2 table last night

Nope, not from the Omaha table. There was a small LHE game going at the same time. It was a private table, so it was only 2+2ers. The game was loose and very aggressive, but it was also only 3-6 handed, so that's too be expected. The people playing there were playing looser and more aggressive than their typical 6 max game, I suspect, however. We were showing hands, so we knew how each other were playing. Everyone seemed to be playing their A+ game, but I did catch a couple of ill advised bluffs from both JaxUp and Bottomset. Bottomset has been very tricky, as usual. Slamhound has been sucking out on Pedro and Bottomset, but he's been folding to me. I've been running quite hot, and Pedro has as well, but I haven't gotten into many hands with him. Pax, however, just sat down, and he's my opponent for this hand. This is I think in his first orbit at the table, but I expect nothing but the best from him.

In these sorts of situations, it's very easy to get bogged down in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th+ level thinking. For this hand, I'm less interested in what actions you decide to take, and more what thoughts are going through your head as the hand progresses. The hand:

I open-raise 99 in MP after JaxUP folds. Bottomset and Pedro fold. Pax 3bets me from the SB and Slamhound folds his BB. I call, and it's HU to the flop.

Flop comes 722r. Pax bets into me.

What range of hands do you put him on? What range of hands do you think he puts me on? What's my plan for this and subsequent streets?
Old 11-01-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Re: A hand from the 2+2 table last night

Any Ace with good kicker, KQs-KJs and of course a pocket pair.
I would raise and at least call down since Pax would propably cap with K high (at least against me [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] )
Old 11-01-2005, 02:07 PM

If this was me versus Paxo, I would be looking to raise with the intention of capping his Ace-whatever while typing in derogatory Japanese into chat.

I don't know why, but right now I am thinking call now and raise the turn? The flop bet means very little, as he 3-bet pre-flop and it's highly unlikely the board hit either of you. Let him 'value bet' his AK or whatever a little while longer. Of course, you are going to hate life if an ace falls on the turn...

Just from the PF 3-bet, I put him on AA-88, AKs-ATs, AK-AJ, KQs-KJs, KQ. Of course there is some chance that he is doing this with 52o or 72s (uh-oh).

-K
Old 11-01-2005, 02:07 PM

since we're assuming normal "A games", i'd call the flop and raise any low turn card (maybe any turn card). i bet the turn if he checks and i see showdown if he 3-bets the turn.

we can put him on any hand with which he might defend his blinds, though he may have a better hand than an average "blind defense" hand since you are opening from MP.

he likely can put you on any hand with 2 high cards, a medium to strong king or ace, or any pair.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:08 PM

You didn't cap so he's not putting you on AA-TT or AK. So that leaves, AT-AQ and 77-99 as possiblilites. He 3-bet so he could have AQ-AK, AA-TT. If it's AK he knows he's ahead of everything but 77-99. AA-TT he's way ahead of everything but 77. AQ he's got you dominated, tied, or beat by 77-99. I think I smooth call the flop and raise a non-scary turn but fold to a 3-bet.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:10 PM

First off all, I would cap this PF. We have a strong hand and position heads-up.

I don't know how Pax plays a 2p2 table but generally his SB raise shows a good hand esp. since it is his first orbit. His bet on the ragged board probably means that he is ready to 3-bet otherwise he would check-raise. So I suspect a big PP here. But this doesn't mean that you shouldn't raise the flop and go to SD.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:11 PM

He's probably not going to fold overcards prior to the river, and might even raise with them.

He's also probably not folding a pair either, whether it's better or worse than yours.

If you raise the flop and get 3-bet you won't really have gained much information about his range.

I would call the flop and probably raise the turn if a good card comes off.

If the game, or your opponent, was so spazzy that he's 3-betting the turn with overcards or a worse pair I would just call him all the way down.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:10 PM

If my opponent was so spazzy as to be 3betting overcards, I think I'd want to put in a value raise in there before calling him down, no?
Old 11-01-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If my opponent was so spazzy as to be 3betting overcards, I think I'd want to put in a value raise in there before calling him down, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heck yeah, I raise the flop, call a 3-bet and then raise the turn and take a free showdown. I think there's a very good chance he 3-bets you with overs on the flop and calls the turn raise hoping to improve.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nope, not from the Omaha table. There was a small LHE game going at the same time. It was a private table, so it was only 2+2ers. The game was loose and very aggressive, but it was also only 3-6 handed, so that's too be expected. The people playing there were playing looser and more aggressive than their typical 6 max game, I suspect, however. We were showing hands, so we knew how each other were playing. Everyone seemed to be playing their A+ game, but I did catch a couple of ill advised bluffs from both JaxUp and Bottomset. Bottomset has been very tricky, as usual. Slamhound has been sucking out on Pedro and Bottomset, but he's been folding to me. I've been running quite hot, and Pedro has as well, but I haven't gotten into many hands with him. Pax, however, just sat down, and he's my opponent for this hand. This is I think in his first orbit at the table, but I expect nothing but the best from him.

In these sorts of situations, it's very easy to get bogged down in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th+ level thinking. For this hand, I'm less interested in what actions you decide to take, and more what thoughts are going through your head as the hand progresses. The hand:

I open-raise 99 in MP after JaxUP folds. Bottomset and Pedro fold. Pax 3bets me from the SB and Slamhound folds his BB. I call, and it's HU to the flop.

Flop comes 722r. Pax bets into me.

What range of hands do you put him on? What range of hands do you think he puts me on? What's my plan for this and subsequent streets?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have capped preflop.

His range is pretty huge here if he's not sticking to the full ring limitations (I assume not since it's SH).

A7o+, A2s+, any PP, KQ, maybe JTs/T9s if he's getting tricky (esp. at 2+2 tables)