Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-02-2005, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Boston huge trade

While I don't think Boston received enough in return for a player like Thornton I think the salary cap era will show that paying a player 6.66 million a year is bad for your team unless that player is a dominant goalie. Unloading his huge contract may be a good move for Boston in the long run. A super star for 2 good players and a crap role player isn't a great deal. It's hard to understand why Boston didn't a) shop around a little and/or b) get one or more high draft picks in the deal. Who the heck will Boston have next year when Samsonov leaves as a UFA and Leetch moves along?
Old 12-02-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While I don't think Boston received enough in return for a player like Thornton I think the salary cap era will show that paying a player 6.66 million a year is bad for your team unless that player is a dominant goalie.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is hardly a salary cap move, the 3 players boston received salaries combined are around 6 million total.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That trade was brutal... maybe the Bruins are working on a deal with the Leafs... Sturm for Allison... you get your #1 centre, we get a winger who can (gasp!) score.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boston will never take Allison back. I am still not sure why the Leafs want to trade Allison so bad, he is rumored in almost every trade.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Boston will never take Allison back. I am still not sure why the Leafs want to trade Allison so bad, he is rumored in almost every trade.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure Boston wouldn't take him back. Whether or not Allison would want to come back is another thing. And I don't know why TO would want to trade him either.

Not surprising to me that the B's got a shot in the arm last night. It'll take a few weeks to see how the team really looks in the wake of this deal.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure Boston wouldn't take him back. Whether or not Allison would want to come back is another thing. And I don't know why TO would want to trade him either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think T.O. really wants to trade him... they were talking about moving him to Columbus, before Fedorov, and his name has come up other times. It's more that he's a player they could get something good for - a scoring winger, improved D, whatever they think they need. Not only that, he could make up to 4.5 million this year, if all his bonuses come in. If they trade him, they add quite a bit of cap space, to pick up something at the trade deadline.

Again, I don't think they want to move him, but he's the guy that would go if they did trade, him or Antropov.