Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-18-2005, 09:08 PM

Default Attitudes Around Here

What the heck has happened around here?

There used to be a time when new posters were welcomed. Their first few posts would show that they had a lot to learn and the more experienced posters would point that out to them. Some of them would be blunter in their “help” than others but nonetheless they would be helpful. In one of my first posts three years ago, Dynasty called me a fish. He did, however, explain exactly why I was fish. But I learned a little, most of the new posters also learned; some of them have even become great players and currently are given a lot of respect around here.

Did some of Tx early posts show that he had a lot to learn? Did he try to justify and argue his positions despite the replies from said esteemed posters? To both of those questions the answer is yes. But has he tried to learn? Did he publicly admit that he was wrong in his first posts? Is he trying to get better and is looking for help? The answers to all of those are yes as well.

But since he is not an “expert” some of the “experts” here continue to berate him and act as though he is beneath them and not worthy of help. Cut the guy some slack. I’m only mediocre, but I’m going to try to help him out as best I can. You folks should too.

Maybe everybody has decided to emulate the “El Diablo” style of post. However, if you look at his cutting one liners, they are usually directed to a poster that he thinks should know better. When the next new poster shows up, cut out the condescending attitude. Perhaps it will help if you look at the first few of your own posts and remember how far you have come.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Attitudes Around Here

well said.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:15 PM

Good post.

-Michael
Old 11-18-2005, 09:21 PM

nicely said.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:18 PM

It bothers me when people respond like that and I've chided El Diablo about it more than once.

That said, what deserves these obnoxious responses is not when new posters post mistake-ridden hands. What deserves these responses is that the mistakes are so often corrected and then the OP will argue as if he already knows everything, because he can't imagine he might be wrong.

The attitude I came in with was "I have tons to learn and these people will help." So I'd take criticism and not think twice. I once posted an SS hand where I cold-called a raise with T9s, 3-bet the turn with a flushdraw and hit the river and checked cause the board paired. slavic responded with a "misplayed on every street" and others' responses ranged from "awful" to "fold every street."

The prevailing attitude among new posters now seems to be "Look how well I play and still lose, someone just tell me I'm unlucky or that it's rigged."
Old 11-18-2005, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what deserves these obnoxious responses is not when new posters post mistake-ridden hands. What deserves these responses is that the mistakes are so often corrected and then the OP will argue as if he already knows everything, because he can't imagine he might be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

i remember my first posts. some were stupid, but i always took comments and criticism constructively.

i definately sucked when i started, and argued my point but would immediately accept a point when proven wrong.

i have nothing against that and treat all new posters who come in like that (lestat) well.

Barron
Old 11-18-2005, 10:33 PM

It is funny though. Every new person is another competator. Do we really want to encourage more people to join the forums? The answer, of course, is no. We'd much prefer if our small group of players were the only ones with access to this forum. We want our "tribe" to do well, and we realize that this is at the expense of the world. So, when the natural response is to reject any newcomers, but we were taught in kindergarten to share and to help others. Those two forces battle within us. The individual new poster can help either side of our humanity by their approach to us. If a new poster comes off as abrasive, a know-it-all, etc etc then he helps his own rejection. If a poster flatters us, comes to us humbly, and expresses a desire (and capability) to learn then he speeds his acceptance.

<shrug>
Old 11-18-2005, 10:51 PM

On one hand, I do agree that some of the responses are out of line on this forum. It's not necessary to berate new posters so harshly. On the other hand, a lot of new posters don't come with the attitude that they are inexperienced players who are looking to learn. No, they want to discuss their already-made skills, which don't exist. This is going to generate a lot of negative response.

From a different viewpoint though, this is the way I see it. It's kind of in line with what CSC said. If a player truly wants to learn, they'll deal with all the crap in order to be able to have access to the knowledge that this community of poker players has. Tx has shown that he wants to learn. I'm pretty sure most people would not have hung around after all the crap he had to take. But the rewards were worth it. He's learning as a player and he's taking less crap. I admit that I didn't have to deal with as much criticism as he did, but I also didn't come in with the same attitude.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is funny though. Every new person is another competator. Do we really want to encourage more people to join the forums? The answer, of course, is no. We'd much prefer if our small group of players were the only ones with access to this forum. We want our "tribe" to do well, and we realize that this is at the expense of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with pretty much everything you said. People who are smart, want to learn and are motivated are going to become better poker players. We can either help them and in turn, be helped by them, or spurn them and create a possible rival that may eventually eclipse us.

Do you want an open, openminded organization constantly injected with new ideas and new members or a closed, narrowminded organization, that rejects new members with new ideas?
Old 11-18-2005, 10:53 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
Good post.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

you said you quit liar