Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 10-16-2005, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Call me a traitor, for I have switched sides

We have torutured, raped, and killed innocent
people and this has been documented. We provided
Hussein with the only 'mass' weapons he had which
were chemical weapons that he used against Iran.
We have a secret police at home that puts people
in jail and they disappear, no lawyers, no trial,
nothing. Funny, I thought that was what we were
blaming Saddam for. Bush says, Iraq is a now a
breeding ground for terrorists. Thats funny, it
wasn't four years ago. The terrorists who hit the
WTC and Pentagon came from Saudi Arabia, Jordan, etc.
none from Iraq.

And most importantly, this could have all been done
much faster and efficiently at the end of the first
gulf war, but Daddy Bush left the rebels to die under
Saddam... Im amazed how long you war supporters hold
on under your idealistic visions.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have an idea. Instead of forcing our young kids to go fight our wars for us, lets make the military 100% voluntary. Then only people who volunteer to fight for us will be in harms way. I think this idea could work. Like it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused, are you being sarcastic?

Last I checked everyone one that is serving in the US Armed Forces VOLUNTEERED for these jobs and know damn well the consequences they face. I did 12 years and not once did someone "make" me sign the dotted line.

Oh wait, or did they just think Uncle Sam was gonna give them a free ride to college with nothing in return?
Old 10-16-2005, 02:14 AM

This post is an indictment of military recruitment standards.

The sarcasm was dripping.

Young men and women sign up to defend our country...not to engage in unnecessary wars by incompetent, dishonest Presidents. Just because you might need money for college in return for service doesn't mean one forfeits the right to fight for something worthwhile. They're not slaves to be used for any purpose.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused, are you being sarcastic?

Last I checked everyone one that is serving in the US Armed Forces VOLUNTEERED for these jobs and know damn well the consequences they face. I did 12 years and not once did someone "make" me sign the dotted line.

Oh wait, or did they just think Uncle Sam was gonna give them a free ride to college with nothing in return?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-16-2005, 04:16 AM

Default Go for it

[ QUOTE ]
I have an idea. Instead of forcing our young kids to go fight our wars for us, lets make the military 100% voluntary. Then only people who volunteer to fight for us will be in harms way. I think this idea could work. Like it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely.

But you realize that volunteer means NOT getting a compensation or a salary for it!

When you are a volunteer fireman or a lifeboat crewman, you are supposed to get a uniform (at best) and expenses (at best) and not become a civil servant drawing a salary every month.

A lot of people cannot see the difference between "volunteer" and "mercenary". Today's professional armies are not "volunteer armies"; they are mercenary armies -- hence, all those soldier statements about this being "there job", et cetera. They are right. It's a job.

So, yeah, absolutely, let's have volunteer armies everywhere, where all the citizens will be free to vote on the merits of every specific call to action by the government with their feet -- or their guns, as the case will be.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just because you might need money for college in return for service doesn't mean one forfeits the right to fight for something worthwhile. They're not slaves to be used for any purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]

No they are not slaves but they swear an oath stating this:

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962)."

So you sir are wrong, they DO enlist to engage in whatever the President and/or his officers see fit, whether it be dying in battle or scrubbing toilets.

And yes, they do get paid for their services, so they in fact are a professional military but by voluntary means. Plenty of other countries have professional militaries but you HAVE to serve...they consider it your duty to your country.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So you sir are wrong, they DO enlist to engage in whatever the President and/or his officers see fit, whether it be dying in battle or scrubbing toilets.

And yes, they do get paid for their services, so they in fact are a professional military but by voluntary means. Plenty of other countries have professional militaries but you HAVE to serve...they consider it your duty to your country.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 10-16-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lot of people cannot see the difference between "volunteer" and "mercenary". Today's professional armies are not "volunteer armies"; they are mercenary armies

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you can't either. Today's US army is not a mercenary army.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lot of people cannot see the difference between "volunteer" and "mercenary". Today's professional armies are "volunteer armies"; they are not mercenary armies

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you can't either. Today's US army is not a mercenary army.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus H. Christ, Mary and Joseph! Did I ever fluck up. Thank you for noting my stupidity. My haste to get started on 4-5 hours of errands is no excuse.

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2005, 08:22 PM

You were right the first time.