Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: ALL Forum Splitting Comments/Suggestions Go here!

J:

FWIW, I am glad you consolidated the posts. In an effort to further clarify my suggestion, I would like to restate the key points. Hopefully, I can get the idea out correctly and then the idea can live or die accordingly.

Effectively communicating in writing is very difficult. I believe several words in my post poorly represented what I was suggesting. Split and elite seemed to respectively create the impression that I was advocating a deconstruction of the board and that only the "elite" were worth interacting with.

Neither is the case. I think that this board is excellent and I do not believe there are any major issues with the board. At the same time, with the growing popularity of the board and the resulting increase in the number of posts, I think that the board could benefit from category organization.

I would vote for organizing the board along the lines (buy-in)that you referenced in your post. Also, I think that categories for "Official MTT" and "Final Table Sweat" threads makes sense.

Finally, my suggestion centered on the creation of a discussion group that all members could read. But, posting was only for members who had achieved a level of consistent winning play at a higher-level.

IMO, an easy solution to removing any concerns about how or who to choose for this group would be to strictly, rely on a merit system.

Tournament poker is well documented. Setting a benchmark for full participation based on a player's published results would be an accurate way to start, develop and maintain the discussion group. This group would remain open for any 2+2 member who achieved those results and wanted to participate.

I believe that a discussion group like this would be a tremendous value and benefit to all 2+2 members.

Hope this post clarifies my suggestion and generates some positive discussion.

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2005, 06:44 PM

I think you bring up a good point with the Official MTT and Sweat as 2 areas, I would moreover clarify this and look at something along the lines of..
a) MTT Strategy/Theory
b) MTT Sweat/Official Tournament Thread (Needs a catchier name)

I think that is the easiest distinction to make.
The problems I see with the others are as follows...
Like I mentioned, excluding new players and others not deemed elite from a given forum is a bad idea, there will always be snubs, which inevitably some of which will be valuable posters who will stop posting, and I dont think a forum of elite posters would continue to receive the traffic warranted for such a split.

Secondly, splitting the forum from low and high would leave some room for interpretation as to where rebuys go and also as mentioned before, some hands that come late in $20 can be applicable to early $500 play, tournament play is tournament play no matter which way you slice it and while opponent skill and stack deepness comes into play there are general concepts that stretch beyond buyins. It is, however, the grey area that makes this option less appealing for me.
~Justin
Old 12-24-2005, 06:57 PM

I think its all too fuzzy to be effective, or work at all. There isn't that much wrong with the forum right now. Yes there is a lot of noise, but waaa waaa waaa- if you want to see good hands they are out there. I think everybody is creating a problem that does not yet exist.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you bring up a good point with the Official MTT and Sweat as 2 areas, I would moreover clarify this and look at something along the lines of..
a) MTT Strategy/Theory
b) MTT Sweat/Official Tournament Thread (Needs a catchier name)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you want:

a) MTT Classroom
b) MTT Lounge
Old 12-24-2005, 07:11 PM

NH, ghato! However, I think dedicating an entire forum to sweat and officials is a little silly, no?
Old 12-24-2005, 07:15 PM

The more I think about all of this the less neccessary I think any of it is. However, the only variant that has been mentioned that I would back would be Sweat/Official and Strat/Theory.... this is all a waste anyway as I doubt Mat would ever back this split, the traffic they'd get wouldn't warrant it. I think the biggest issue here is this... if one option didnt make 100% sense to everyone then there probably isnt a real need to split
~Justin
Old 12-24-2005, 07:22 PM

I think pretty much all of these ideas are pointless. Read the posts you want to read, respond to the ones you want to respond to and everything should be fine. It isn't very hard to ignore a thread.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:39 PM

Basing a forum on "skill" of the posters is reDONKulous. How in the WORLD would you rank people? The herndon mob? I'm sure there's tons of people here who arent on there. If anything you'd have to do it based on post count.

The difference between us and cash games is that in a tournament everyone starts off equal by definition. Cash games that's not really true as there's a max buy in, but if you double up you get to keep that. Most theory is the same regardless of buyin for us, but not for them. There is no TFAP for high buy in tourneys, but there are sklansky books for high limit and low limit play.

Just keep the forum the way it is, and here's an idea the better posters: respond to more posts. I make posts and don't get nearly as many responses as I should, and they're not that "obvious". If anything, I'm serious about banning people, mods should just ban people for making stupid responses/posts (like bad beat posts/ or if they start flaming).