Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2003, 06:33 PM

Default Roy West 7CS low and medium limit

I am looking for a copy of this book I tried 3 local bookstores, and each one of them tried to order from the publisher but can't. I can't find it on Amazon. I saw it listed on this web site but I don't know if that is an old listing. Can anyone help me?

Also I just picked up 7csfap (before that goes out of print), I have heard the comment often that this book is for high limit games. Can someone explain to me why this book would not help in 1/2 3/6 ?
Old 08-26-2003, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Roy West 7CS low and medium limit

Hi, go to used book dealers on net and you can find it. In lower limit games player do not play as tight. There will be player there who want to gamble and don't care if they drop some money. Just look at the slot player in a club, there there for the fun and losing is what they expect to do. I like Roy's book and it will improve your game. Ron
Old 08-27-2003, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone explain to me why this book would not help in 1/2 3/6 ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's predicated on the fact that you will be playing players that are rational in fairly tight games. In low limit games, which are generally extremely loose, the players are not rational and usually everyone just calls, so using tricky plays isn't called for. However, the 21st Century Edition of 7CSFAP is updated with comments for loose games.

The Gambler's Bookshop in Las Vegas usually has any gambling related book you could ever want(check their web site), and I've also seen the bookshop conjelco.com mentioned as a source for poker books. They may have some copies of Roy West's book in stock. However, I think with the explosion in poker interest, a lot of poker books may be in short supply right now. There are always people selling their poker libraries on ebay, so that may be one avenue to explore.

You should also consider getting what's generally considered the best poker book out there for any type of game: "The Theory of Poker"(Sklansky).
Old 08-27-2003, 03:31 PM

Thank you for the info. I do have TOP I have read it 1.25 times [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I am starting to reaqd it over, now that I am playing, I am starting to understand some of the concepts a little better. I was just looking for a book that focus on 7cs as I do not play (much) hold'em. While I admire Moneymaker for raising 4 million on Jack high [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I just think 7cs is more skill, then reading your oppenent, by playing the live cards as well as your oppenents.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:38 PM

if you give me $20 somehow, i'll send you my copy of the west book, which is in tiptop shape, since i'm done reading it. PM me if you're interested. if not, barnes and noble carries it.

and the 2+2 stud book will help your low-limit game, but loose stud is extremely different from tight stud. in a tight stud game, your goal with many hands is to get it heads up, which is almost impossible in a game where six players typically go to fourth street. the book contains a useful section on playing in loose games and how to adjust, so it's still a good read.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:46 PM

Study the TOP hard. I'm a holdem player who started playing some LL 7CS online, just 'cause it was there. I mentioned in a post a week or two ago, that TOP has been a huge help to me figuring out the stud game. I'm pleased to report that I'm winning at .25-.50 UB game. The Party antes seem kinda stiff to me at the .50-1 game, so I hung it up there (sticking to holdem).

Best of Luck
Old 08-27-2003, 10:19 PM

isn't the ante in the UB .25/.50 game 10 cents? (four times the relative cost of playing 10/20) also, the idea of having the bring-in be more than half a small bet is just stupid in my opinion, as the first raise will never make a limper fold.

i have no clue why more sites don't apply the stars idea of having a 5 cent ante at this limit; the players will stay loose anyway.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
isn't the ante in the UB .25/.50 game 10 cents?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

[ QUOTE ]
the bring-in be more than half a small bet is just stupid in my opinion, as the first raise will never make a limper fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I agree, if I'm understanding this correctly. If I'm coming in, I raise to the quarter.