Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2003, 12:19 PM

Default I am getting too many bad beats-- am I that bad.

This is my first post. I play at PP $1/2 7-card Stud 8 handed

I hope that we can discuss this hand as a whole. Not Just my play.

3rd St.
Player 1 (XX XX) J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Player 2 (T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Player 3 (8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
ME: (4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

1 7 out and i spade out that I can see

I was right of the bring-in and with no one to act after me with no raise I called with one 7 out (and one 2)

4th St.
Player 1 (XX XX) J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Player 2 (T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Player 3 (8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
ME: (4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

2 7's are now out. Ok I should not have called but it was a half bet and I was last to act. I didnt think Player 1 had a set.

Player one folded at the river no longer important to the example
5th st.
Player 2 (T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Player 3 (8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
ME: (4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I made my straight Player 1 leads out Player 2 and 3 call so I called not to knock any one out I figure 3bets for 1 vs 2 bets for at most 4 because if one folds.

6th street.
Player 1 catchs a 6
Player 2 catches another 3
Player 3 catchs aonther Qh

Ok so I put all three plays on two pair (possibly a set but it doesn't matter)

Just as in 5th street Player3(Queens) lead all of us call.

The River:
Player3 bet just left of me
I raise
Player 1 folds
Player 2 calls
Player 3 calls

Player 2 caught Qs to give her a Ace high straight.
Player 3 caught Qh to give him queens over nine
and I ended up in third place. ?

Couple of questions:
What do you think of my slow play after I make the straight?
What do you think of my oppenents play?
When doing a hand history post like this is there any way to shorten it ( btw if you made it this far I commend you)

Oh and the hand right before this one I made aces up after 4th, knocked everyone out but one with raising. He catches a case ten to fill the straight.. I have to find that hand.

Crash
Old 08-11-2003, 01:40 PM

Default Re: I am getting too many bad beats-- am I that bad.

When posting hands, please include the ante and bring-in unless it is a very standard structure, which $1/2 is not. I am assuming that this has a $.50 bring-in, since that's pretty common for on-line games. Even though you're last to act on the first round, your hand is something less than marginal. High straight draws are usually good starting hands because you have a chance to win by pairing one or more of your high cards. You have no such chance with 654. Also, your cards are slightly dead. The one thing you have going for you is the buried two flush. On balance, though, I think you have a fold, especially at half a bet.

On fourth, you have a definite muck. You have two outs to make your straight, and although the Jacks probably don't have trips, they do have you beaten and drawing pretty slim (now you definitely can't win by pairing one of your straight cards), and there are a couple of other players to worry about.

Why are you drawing to this hand if you can't raise with it when you get there? You should have raised fifth, and you should have raised sixth.

Your opponents should have folded to the Jacks' bet on fourth street as well.

I think it's better if you tell us what you did and then reveal your opponents' hands later.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:39 PM

i think you know you made a few errors on this hand. firstly on third street it is a marginal call. low straight draws are not strong hands here if you dont play well on later streets. if you are a relatively new player and just folded here every time you wouldnt be that far off.

fourth street is a very bad call. not only do you have a weak hand you are not even drawing to a strong hand.with 2 sevens out this is a terrible call. if you make calls like this it is not bad luck when you lose the pot. note that even if you make a straight your opponent has a paired door card and if he has trips then you are not strong even if you make a straight.

you should raise once you make a straight. unless this was a tight game you will get callers. plus it is doubtful that you will get put on a straight so they may call just on teh chance that you have two small pair.

your opponenst play is also generally bad, with no raises on third street and the J's not making a big bet on fourth. it is too long to comment on all of it but it looks to me like this was a bad hand all around.

pat
Old 08-11-2003, 02:41 PM

In a loose game, I think your call was fine on 3rd street. In a semi-tight game, low straights are not worth playing except possibly when your two flush is totally live as well as your straight cards, there are several callers, and you are last to act--even then it's marginal.

On 4th street you are looking to catch perfect with a 7 or a flush card. When you saw the second seven out, and you didn't catch a third flush card, you should have folded.

On 5th street, you decided to slow play, however I think that was a mistake. One of your opponents had a possible straight with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], but three jacks were out at that point, so that actually wasn't much of a threat. The real threat looks like player 2's hand: he limped in on 3rd street, and when you decided to slow play, he had two spades showing, so he might have been calling with a pair and then made a four flush. You only want to slow play opponents who will make a second best hand when they catch their card.

Also, you don't want to slow play if betting won't cause anyone to fold. Would they have folded to a bet? If it was a loose game, then probably not, but that's your judgement call.

On 7th street, both your opponents got lucky. There's nothing you can do about that.

One last comment. Situation 1: You are Chris "Jesus" Ferguson(i.e a very good player) and you always play at a table full of beginners. Situation 2: You are Phil Helmuth Jr. and only play with other experts. Questions for you to consider:

1)Which player is going to get sucked out on the most?
2)Which player is going to win the most money?