Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Leak #1 Overcards.

pre-flop okay...pre flop play is the easiest for anyone to learn as per SSHE

the feedback given to this point is all good, i would suggest to attempt to vary your some play based upon your assessment of the other players...sometimes not betting versus passive callers is good, particularly on a hand that developes into a marginal one post-flop...indeed, you strive to be somewhat unpredictable, thus your opponents must take more risk in playing against you...by always betting when you think you might be ahead, you make it easy for your opponents...indeed, you would like your opponents in this game to say to themselves afterward...gee, what a small pot-i should have bet more...

the skill of poker is learning when/how to vary you play versus your opponent.

best of luck
Old 11-30-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Too many opponents in this hand, just check behind on the flop. After 3 players call on the flop you should definitely not be betting the turn again with ace high!

[/ QUOTE ]

Would your advice be different if there were fewer players? For instance, say you raise pre-flop and get 2 callers. Flop is rags, and you bet--and one of the two folds, leaving you heads up. Would you then bet the turn?

I've got to say, that a lot of the low limit players I've played against will call the flop, but fold to the turn if you bet out again. Of course, if they DON'T, then I'm left stuck with a decision on the river.
My feeling at that point is usually if there is a flush or straight draw out there that misses, I will bet in case my opponent is on a draw and misses. I figure once I've bet it that far, I might as well bet the river. (Actually I read this in a Cardplayer article once--that too many people fire out at every street, but then just roll over at the river...)

That said, however--I think also that this is a leak in my game. I need to just let these go more often, probably.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

indeed, you strive to be somewhat unpredictable, thus your opponents must take more risk in playing against you...by always betting when you think you might be ahead, you make it easy for your opponents...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what this means.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:13 PM

When I first started playing limit hold'em it was playing 1-3 and 3/6 at Turning Stone.

A dealer there named "Walter" had a really bad habit of critiquing people's play during his downs. But, then again, he also was hilarious and a competent dealer.

He once made the following comment to me during a game:

"You're style's never going to win at this level. You can't just keep firing away with AK if you don't hit anything on the flop."

Having read some books and thinking I was good I thought "you don't know what you're talking about... you're a dealer."

Needless to say, I some time later had a great epiphany when I realized that there are many times in limit hold'em where it's okay to check, even if you were the last aggressor.

So, listen to Walter...

You should check every street on this hand.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:34 PM

Great thread - I'm very guilty of this exact thing myself... Bet the flop with overs (which I think is reasonable as it will likely buy you a free card) then I bet the turn (which is bad) because I figure they might have wanted to see a single card and then I bet the river thinking that is the only way I'll win...

I'm going to see if I can write a query against the Poker Tracker DB that will give me some proof so I can stop doing this or at least modify my approach...

I'll be looking for scenarios where I was the aggressor pre-flop and had two over cards after the flop but with no flush draw or open-ended straight draw and play was checked to me. I'm not sure how big that sample will be but from there I'll try to do some analysis based on # of opponents and position. Not an exact science by any means but hopefully some type of conclusion can be drawn from the data.

rvg
Old 11-30-2005, 07:23 PM

RVG, some stats would be great.

Thanks for the responses guys. I know this is a leak of mine. any info on when to fire the first barrel, second barrel and third barrel? What I am now thinking

Keys for a flop bet.

1) Number of callers preflop > or equal to 4 generally means check.

2) Bet only with position

3) Be more likely to bet a ragged flop rather than a coordinated one

4) Backdoor straights or flushs may make you more likely to bet as it might ensure a free card

Turn bets.

1) If the Turn helps anything, be less inclined to bet

2) Position is important. The later to act the more likely to bet

3) Yould should not bet into 3 or more players unless you have a very good read on them and feel they will all fold

River bet

1) you will rarely chase more than 1 or 2 people out

2) You can do this only if all draws obviously miss (meaning you may be good anyway)

Overall, it is Ok to bet the flop if you feel it will at least get you a free card. After that, it is not a sin to slow down.

Am I right?
Old 11-30-2005, 08:18 PM

Haven't read all the other comments so if i am redundant forgive me. I think with 3 or 4 opponnets betting into them with nothing does not have any bluff value. I have been called down with a pair of twos and broadway cards on the board to lose with my ACE high.
Most of the time I would be taking my free card on the flop. If I have only 2 opponnents I betting to the turn and checking behind on the river.
The question is do you bet the flop hoping for a free card if unimproved or check through for the free card now and reevaluate the turn.
If the field is really passive and I think the board looks uncoordinated enough that I won't get checkraised I might bet the flop with the hopes of getting a free card on the turn. If I have a serial checkraising LAG out there who is trying to thin the field and get heads up with me with his bottom pair with K or A kicker I would just check the flop and reevaluate the turn.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:37 PM

You have a pot equity advantage PF - so you bet.

You do NOT have a pot equity edge on the flop - so you don't bet based on pot equity alone. Only bet when your pot equity + fold equity + free card to improve to best hand equity gives you a better chance to win the hand than the odds given on your bet. In B&M against that many players, you fold equity is basically nil. You probably will get a free card against these guys, but i'd be afraid of all the Ax and Qx hands that have you reverse dominated, so a free card play may not even be that valuable here either.

You beat loose passives by value betting, not by trying to push 5 of them off their 1-pair/weak draws in a large pot.