Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2003, 07:40 PM

Default Need Help with agressive lunatic

I am running into a guy that I can not beat. Now granted I have played him two days in a row and maybe 150 hands total but this guy gets me on tilt and I have to leave. Game 7 stud/1-2/.25 Ante/.5 Bring In

What I figure is this guy will complete with pair (including low pair no kicker), Ace anything, 3 flush, 3 straight inside/outside

The one of the two hands that got to me were I had Aces buried, he was showing a 4, I was showing a J. 3rd St he completes I raise, everyone else went out at that point little dead moeny in the pot. That is what you do with high pair knock the drawers out?

4th st he caught a T, I caught a suited card, we when back and four raising and re-rasing til we capped. 5th he catches a 6, and again I get my third suited card(which doesn't help because I was showing clubs with a spade and diamond). We go at it again.

6th I bet, he raised, I called (I didn't want to go further because I had not made my two pair). Same thing on 7th
(oh no A's and 1 J out after 3rd)

I flip over Aces and he flips over 6's buried to give him 3 of a kind.

Other hand was I had Kings up after five, he flips over a straight with 3 cards down. Again the same type of betting.

My question is did I play it right? I believe the conventional way to play these types of oppenents is let them run over you when you have a good hand? And make them pay for cards when they are drawing? Did I overplay the Aces? I was in the lead until 5th? I had a good shot at two pair or trips?

Right now I am avoiding this person until I can figure this out, I still watch him though to see how others react

Fustrated
Crash
Old 08-26-2003, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Need Help with agressive lunatic

It sounds like you had Nuke LaRoush give him the b

rushback and he still whacked it off the Bull.

You may too loosen up against this opponent.but be sure to watch the other players carefully.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:10 AM

In the game structure you describe, his starting hand selection isn't that bad (although it is too loose). That's because the ante is large relative to the bring in and opening bet, so it's worth staying with weaker hands to try to win the pot.

That said, in the hand where he had buried sixes and the rivered straight one, I think you played fine. You were a favorite, but he outdrew you. Happens all the time. If you want to limit your variance against this player, just call instead of reraising. But if he's as wild as you say, you'll be missing some opportunities to value bet. As I'm sure you will agree, this player will eventually lose his money. In the meantime, he can be tough to play against, though.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:26 AM

I have been guilty of overplaying Aces heads-up with a maniac many times myself, but when the raising war keeps up, you have to figure at some point you might be beaten. You only have one pair, after all. I might three-bet fifth street if I was feeling particularly frisky that day, but I would revert to checking and calling at some point after that.

Sounds like this guy is going to lose all of his money eventually. I would want to be around when he does.