Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2003, 02:06 PM

Default Hand Review

I have been playing 1/2 stud at PP.com, I also like the responses that I have been getting from my post. I will post a hand that I was involved in. Even though I came out on top, I don't know that I made the best of decisions. I like these hand review type post they are sort of like the code reviews we have at work.

Game 1/2 7-card stud
Ante .25
Bring-in .5
8 handed

3rd: Pot - $2
ME(Seat 1) (J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Player 2 (XX) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Player 3 (8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Player 8 (2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Other
5,8,T,T, no other clubs except the K

P2 brings-in
3 calls including the K
3 folds

So I feel I am in the lead and with a Q showing I complete Though: if my opp put me on Q's then a J doesn't look so
threatening as a straigh also if a Q comes up they would put me on set?

4 calls

4th: Pot - $7
ME(Seat 1) (J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Player 2 (XX) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Player 3 (8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Player 8 (2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

P8- checks, I am definitely behind but since K's check I had put him on a flush/straight draw, giving him only Kings, but I am still behind. I check and so does everyone else

5th: Pot - $6.5 (.5 rake)
ME(Seat 1) (J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Player 2 (XX) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Player 3 (8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Player 8 (2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

P8 bets out, the pot is no $8.5, there were 3 behind me I figure all of them would call(just the way they have been playing)

Having still put K's on a pair I (though) have 3Q,2-7's,3-fours,1-jack plus other outs. With 3 other callers would have made the pot 14 to my 2 giving me 7-1 odds. I call. 2 out of the 3 people do call.

6th: Pot - $14.5 (.5 rake)
ME(Seat 1) (J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Player 2 (XX) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Player 3 (8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Player 8 (2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

P8 bets, I call (how was I suppose to know he was full), P2 calls, P3 raises, P8 re-raises. Ok so now include my 2 the pot is

$28.5 (after all my original two doesn't belong to me it belongs to the pot) at that point I am still getting 28.5 to 4 plus I expect the other 2 to put in so that is another 6. I have 1 J and 2 4's that I know about with 14 cards left. Although I didn't do the exact math I said to myself that is still 1-4 to 1-5 chance. Right? Call. P2 calls. P3 caps at 8, everyone calls (still good odds, I think)

7th: Pot - $46 (1 rake)
ME(Seat 1) (J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Player 3 (8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (see the four was live?)
Player 8 (2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

P8 bets, I raise (sure why not), P2 drops out, P3 calls, P8 and my self go back and forth til its capped with P3 adding in his money.

Cost me 19.25 to win 70 for a profit of 50.75.

I do like P8's play though of checking fourth (did he do it because he though I had trips and was first to act, or just to

throw me off, which it did)

Comments?
Old 08-21-2003, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Hand Review

Fold on fifth and it isn't close. You are behind, the pot is pretty small, and there are several players left to act. If the Kings had bet fourth street (and there is no reason he shouldn't have), you should have folded then.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:00 PM

Nice catch. I would have dropped looking at KKA and one jack left myself. But the main thing I was thinking was: "Fifty cent rake? Wow!!"
Old 08-21-2003, 02:31 PM

Crazy call. Save your money. You did get lucky...good for you...but Think about the odds. You did not know that the J was even avail to you...hence you put the other full on a straight draw early on.

Old 08-21-2003, 05:51 PM

Pairs go down in value in a multi way pot, so your goal should have been to knock out players to increase your probability of winning the hand. With more players in the hand, the probability of winning the hand goes down faster than the pot odds go up. When everyone called on 3rd street, your hand was in trouble.

When the Kings paired on 4th street and checked, that was a huge warning sign they had trips, although with player 2 having a possible heart flush draw, and player 8 looking like a straight draw, checking trip Kings and giving those players a free card would be a horrible play. The Kings actually checked Kings up which is also a horrible play because it gave the flush and the straight draw a free card as well as the other players.

You need to be careful when calculating pot odds. Pot odds only apply if you plan to stay for one more card ONLY and that card is going to win you the pot with CERTAINTY. Were you only going to stay for one more card? And, what card was going to win you the pot with certainty?
Old 08-21-2003, 06:00 PM

Running the numbers for 5th street:

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=69406
pokenum -mc 500000 -7s jd jh qs 7d 4h - 9h 6d 3h js 6h - 8d qc 5c 6s 7c - 2c 2h kc kd as / 5d 8s tc th
7-card Stud Hi: 500000 sampled outcomes
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Qs Jd 7d Jh 4h 24791 4.96 475209 95.04 0 0.00 0.050
Js 6d 9h 6h 3h 39114 7.82 460886 92.18 0 0.00 0.078
6s Qc 7c 5c 8d 136436 27.29 363564 72.71 0 0.00 0.273
As Kc 2c Kd 2h 299659 59.93 200341 40.07 0 0.00 0.599

You were probably a 19:1 underdog.