Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Frustration.

Opponent is sort of a loose-aggressive fish who severely overplays hands, and almost never folds any made hand on any street. I've been waiting for an opportunity to let her trap herself. She is capable of reraising from the bring-in facing a possible steal with something as weak as a 3-flush, or perhaps even less given the frequency with which she does it. Should I have called this down and hoped to improve, or just lose the minimum and fold? I'm not sure if split 3's are her likeliest hand on 3rd street, especially after pairing her doorcard on 4th.

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.30 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___raises

4th Street - (6.30 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

Total pot: (6.30 SB)
Old 12-10-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Frustration.

I would fold it myself,but I think it is likely that this is an incorrect play,given your description of this player.Calling down probably produces a higher return on average,but I just hate to pursue a hand where I will probably not be able to assume the lead with confidence,& if I dodevelop the best hand,my opponent will know what I have.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Frustration.

The key question is what proportion of the time does she defend the bring-in like this. I would suggest (without detailed thought) that, if she generally played this way in this sort of situation, then folding would be wrong. If she only defended her bring-in this aggressively half the time, it's probably quite close, and if she defends less frequently, it's probably a good fold.

Obviously, the double bet on fourth tells you precisely nothing here.