Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 08:59 AM

Default I admit suckage

After playing limit successfully for a year and a half, I caught the MTT-bug a couple of weeks ago. Last night I looked over my results and man, what a disappointment. These are just estimates, but after about 50 MTTs (700-1000 entries) I have 3 ITM (no deep) and my average place is 40%.

I just got HOH 1 and 2 and I suppose studying those will get me on track, but I'm still curious what the expected results might be for a good player that plays big tournaments (around 800 entries or so) exclusively.

Care to share?
Old 10-18-2005, 09:02 AM

Default Re: I admit suckage

yea read those two books, but your stats mean very very little. 50 tournaments is next to nothing. But just by reading the HOH's and this forum you should start to see some results. (even without reading those two you'd probably see some eventually)

my average finish after 670 tournaments is 40.1%

--
Old 10-18-2005, 09:04 AM

I get ITM like 25% and deep into half of them. I am usually out pretty early ITM or I tend to go all the way to the FT where I bust out on the river :P.

I think around 25% ITM is pretty standard? I have no idea to be honest but it's all good for me. But the ITM ain't that important to me since if I don't get to the FT it's a somewhat disappoinment. I'm at 5 FT this month and not a single win yet. 2 3rd's is the best.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:08 AM

I am also a decent limit player and I suck at MTTs. Have noticed that it is when the stacks are shallow (and that is the most important part of an MTT moneywise) that I lack the necessary skills. Have started playing SNG at Party to get experience with shallow stacks and it starts to help.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think around 25% ITM is pretty standard?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really high..

according to Sirio, he has no player in his poker tracker with more than 17? or 20 for sure. Duunno over how long that is..

But >20 is really high. And i'd guess not sustainable.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:52 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Like a previous poster said, 50 tournies is basically nothing, but these results makes me wonder if I'm wasting my time. I make decent money from playing 2/4 - 5/10 limit -- thatīs how I've paided for the MTTs -- so maybe I should cut down on the tournies.

I vaguely remember a good thread from some time ago where a poster talked about how he viewed tournies as a treat/reward-thing for grinding in the cash games. I think he played only a couple of tournies per week because he didn't want to lose too many hours from his main game. Does anyone remember? Linky?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:46 AM

I have played 5 5+1 MTTs, and came 3rd in 1. So I have ITM of only 20%, but ROI of 2304%.

Small sample sizes can make you feel really good ;-)
Old 10-18-2005, 11:43 AM

HoH will make a huge difference. one thing i would recommend is to push ITM% to the back burner and focus on ROI. if you're trying to hold on to a small stack to make it onto the money you won't have much success.

getting aggressive when your stack starts to dwindle is key. it might feel a little reckless at first, but it will improve your results.

HoH will explain all of that in great detail. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

edit: 25% in the money is crazy, unless it is barely making it every time. i think 15% ROI is good rate to shoot for. some people can pull more than that, but not many.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:55 PM

"ITM" as a stat for MTTs can be very deceiving. You might see someone with a relatively high ITM% but who really is barely eeking by. Whereas, a good MTT player will want to sacrifice making the money by taking full advantage of others' desires to make the money...this is where you get FT potential, which is the reason why we play. However, this ramp up of agression near the money will also lower your ITM% somewhat.

In 10 words or less, bascially, I will sacrifice quantity of ITM for quality of ITM.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replies.

Like a previous poster said, 50 tournies is basically nothing, but these results makes me wonder if I'm wasting my time. I make decent money from playing 2/4 - 5/10 limit -- thatīs how I've paided for the MTTs -- so maybe I should cut down on the tournies.

I vaguely remember a good thread from some time ago where a poster talked about how he viewed tournies as a treat/reward-thing for grinding in the cash games. I think he played only a couple of tournies per week because he didn't want to lose too many hours from his main game. Does anyone remember? Linky?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to mix the best of both worlds maybe you should check out SNG (both 1 table, 2 table, and 3 table). They basically give you the fun of NL tournaments with the consistancy and returns more similar to a limit player.

Huge MTTs are really hard to keep an accurately supplied bankroll and accurately assess your true ability as if you play 1000+ player events and top 3 or top 5 are the only places worth serious money you can easily be a strongly winning player and have a bad run of many thousand of tournamnets without one of those top finishes.