Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 10:32 AM

Default Playing online vs. Playing live: What to do?

My wife is away on business for two days and I have the chance to sneak out and play some poker live, which I don't get to do very often.

Should I do that, or partake in the multitude of MTTs and 2/4 limit games online that are out there?

What's the best way to spend my limited hours of time? Bankroll is not a factor since the live games I'd play are similar to the online games. There are no live tourneys.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Playing online vs. Playing live: What to do?

It depends on what you're looking to get out of it. If you just want to make money, playing online is probably your best bet, especially if you're playing 2/4.

From my experience, the play at live tables is significantly worse than online- people often show up expecting to lose money. However, online offers more hands per hour, plus the option of going for more tables. Take rake + toke also means much lower EV.

Live poker is fun because people will rarely fold, and your draws will always have great odds. I find it to be an enjoyable thing to do on a weekend night when I'm bored, but it's no substitute for online play. In live games, I usually play 3/6 or 4/8 kill, and a good session of a few hours means $100-$200. In a few hours of online play, with a good run, I can double or triple that amount.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:34 PM

bump
Old 08-04-2005, 05:39 PM

If you are looking to maximize profit and $ per hour online is the way to go.

If you are looking to have a good time and laugh at how badly people play live limit hold em, as well as score some comps, go live. Live is inherently more fun.