Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Avoiding Bad Beats

One of my main problems with no-limit hold em' now is having a really good hand but losing all my money when someone has a slightly better hand, say I have 2 pair but someone else has a better 2 pair or I flop a set and someone flops a better one and also the same for a fullhouse or flush.
How would i go about saving my self money with this kind of hand, or rather what should i be looking for in these kind of situations if someone might have a better hand.
Only thing i can think of is to play passively, so as to only call other peoples bets or raises but playing this way gets you a crappy winrate and allows people to outdraw you too much. Or to play the good hands aggressively, maximixing profit and take the blows to your bankroll hoping to make enough with the aggresive style.
I would apprecitae any help on this
Old 06-27-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Avoiding Bad Beats

vnh
Old 06-27-2005, 12:30 PM

Avoiding bad beats is easy--fold a lot.

If you aren't taking bad beats you aren't aggressive enough.

Bad beats are the additional rake you pay for the privilege of taking money from donks.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:21 PM

play limit instead of no-limit. seriously.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:35 PM

I probaly will play limits for cash games now, since its too easy to have someone outdraw you with the type of players who play online. However id still like even the slightest help on this topic for tournament play.
Maybe a tight/passive/aggresive where i play passively early in the hand(say preflop and flop), then shift a gear and go aggresive on the turn and river. This way i can watch the other player as the board progress's and if im still in the hand to the showdown, I could still scoup a decent sized pot while only giving a potential free turn card.
This still only saves a little bit of money though and also gives that free turn card. There seems to be no solution
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2005, 01:40 PM

If you want to avoid bad beats, stop playing poker. They happen, you must deal with them. They'll happen in NL, they'll happen in Limit, they'll happen in Omaha, they'll happen everywhere. No matter how you play, someone will bad beat you. Unless you fold all of your non-nut hands after the river (stupid), you can't avoid bad beats, they will happen. Be prepared, be ready.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:45 PM

If you find yourself with a lot of second best hands, its probalby because you play too many hands. Playing too many hands makes you play many dominated hands. Dominated hand often become second best made hands.

Dont be more passive, but try to be tighter.

Ed
Old 06-27-2005, 01:54 PM

I just realised my impatience made me comepletely forget about playing slightly tigher rather than playing slightly more passive(guess its all about getting the right balance). Thanks for the replys.
I also just realised my post is too broad to cover in short forum posts, guess I have to go back to studying and gaining more experience [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2005, 02:17 PM

If someone flops a higher set than me more power to him and he can have my money. I will not lay down a set unless there is a very high probability he has a flush(4 flush on board) or straight(consecutive cards)

Badbeats are part of poker, but what you are talking about is not a bad beat. If you flop a set and he flops a higher set it means you were behind to begin with so its not a bad beat, same with higher 2 pair. For a bad beat you have to be ahead in the hand and then he outdraws you on a miracle. Someone hitting a flush on you with a reasonable draw isnt a bad beat either.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:20 PM

E-mail the site you are playing at and tell them that they suck and they will increase your luck box. Seriously.