Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: deep stacks, no free cards, do you really like your set?

If you read him as very aggressive, so his range could include pair+draw and I would call.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:06 PM

Lots of times you have him crushed. A few times you will have to suck out, but fortunately it will be 33% of the time.

Instant-call against opponent described.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:16 PM

I dunno... I'm pretty terrified of making a call here with the set.

I think we can rule out QQ pretty safely... but villain risked his ENTIRE stack of $322. That's a lot of money for anyone to risk.

Personally, I don't know many people that will push that hard with a set/2 pair when there's a possible made straight AND flush draw on teh board.

Sure, you can redraw to a boat, but you'll only catch it about 1/3 of the time. I'm waiting for a better opportunity to risk most of my money.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:21 PM

ghaz, I really respect your posts. could you go into further detail why you like a call here instead of a fold?
Old 12-04-2005, 08:22 PM

I think this is almost never a semi-bluff with the amount of money involved and the possibility of the made straight.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mmm yea theres something up with the converter, it always labels full ring games as 6max, tis weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

not only is it labeled full ring, but it also has ten people and stacks listed....

But as for the hand I think you have to call against a "very aggresive player", which means he could be doing this with a nice draw, which you are ahead of. A made straight is of course a concern, but sucking out take cares of that. And the times your up against 99 makes up for the straights. QQ can most likley be ruled out because he would have raised PF. He also could have made two misclicks in a row, and accidently pushed. All this compounded makes a call I think.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is almost never a semi-bluff with the amount of money involved and the possibility of the made straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because he doesn't think he's bluffing doesn't always mean that he holds the best hand. Usually people that do this don't want to have to deal with scare cards on the turn in a big pot. They'd rather gamble that they are ahead on the flop than play poker on the future betting rounds. People with the nuts rarely want to make you fold. They will gamble that their hand will hold up while they desperately try to extract.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:37 PM

Tough one.. Definitely raise preflop. On the flop I guess I would had called. But the ratio between his all-in bet and the pot size is very big so folding here cant be very wrong. Certainly looks like hes can have flopped the straight, but 2 pair or 2 nines is a possibility too.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:46 PM

fold if you like money. i dont think a 3-bet is a bluff here often, esp. at low limits.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:47 PM

Limping PF here is fine.