Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Playing a draw against a LAG, trying to pick up bluff outs

Good point. I probably should have. The BB was really tight, but still, a 3 bet would have been a good idea.

I don't understand the Matador reference though. Was this a hand from that poker TV show or something? Or am I on drugs?

~ Tilts
Old 07-27-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good point. I probably should have. The BB was really tight, but still, a 3 bet would have been a good idea.

I don't understand the Matador reference though. Was this a hand from that poker TV show or something? Or am I on drugs?

~ Tilts

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a slip up; I'll edit.

Oh yeah, and your turn 3 bet river play suck. He's not folding. If you are that inclined. I've been known to call down once in a while here too...I'm pretty sure thats -EV, but I also love playing craps.

Anyhoo I know many times they have axspades here, but not enough for the river bet to be profitable.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:28 PM

I didn't 3bet the turn. I bet my flop semi-bluff out again and got raised.

~ Tilts
Old 07-27-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Matador,

If he's that laggy, why not three bet to keep the BB from coming along?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an example of attacking a LAGgy player in the wrong place. You try to raise on later streets as a semi-bluff where you will get called, but you didn't raise for value when it was very likely you had the best hand.

Three betting pre-flop is a must! One, you want to get HU against the LAG is as many hands as possible. A 2p2 member here explained it perfectly to me in situations where you want to three-bet LAGs - this particular guy raises 27% - that meeans he raises almost twice as many hands as yuou play! Just think about that range, and a three-bet here is a mandatory....
Old 07-27-2005, 05:40 PM

Okay. Yes, I should have 3 bet preflop. We can close the book on that part of the analysis I think ...

~ Tilts
Old 07-27-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who lurked for a year (as you claimed to have done) should know who The-Matador is
Old 07-27-2005, 06:21 PM

I like the CR flop, lead turn. I cannot see him folding a better hand on the river. SO you shoudl prbably chec/fold or check/call the river. if he was on a worse str8 draw or flush draw this allows for maximum value. call or fold really depends on my mood, and what i ahve seen him doing at the table.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who lurked for a year (as you claimed to have done) should know who The-Matador is

[/ QUOTE ]

he doesn't know who the matador is, because he is the matador, and pretending not to be.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:35 PM

First I'd like to point out that trying to bluff a VPIP of 70 is just flat out insane. No doubt about it. You can say all you want about "he's been folding rivers", but thats because he's seeing almost all of them, and even horrible players will fold 7high to a river bet.

What you should be paying attention too, and something I didn't see you mention once during this thread, is what would he raise the turn with? Could it be a draw? A PP? Nothing? The turn action greatly defines his holdings, and then you can HONESTLY evaluate the chances of each and whether he's capable of folding any/all of them to a river bet.

The river donk/bet, however, will never work here, even if he has A-high. Its a mentality thing, and when you let him put the last bet in on the turn, he figured that whatever he had was better than what you had, and that river card certainly didn't appear to change anything.

For this to have any chance, you must 3bet the turn and bet any river (be it for bluff of for value). Now your talking about investing 4 BB to try and bluff a player who habitually (by his numbers) HATES to fold. Its just bad poker. Stop trying too hard and force your opponents to make their biggest mistakes more often. The line you took actually encourages your opponent to play better, which should be the last thing you want.

lf
Old 07-27-2005, 09:02 PM

you are officially a troll

you also REALLY suck at poker