Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Why are poker players (and in particular these forums) so hostile?

[ QUOTE ]
This poster is a troll, one that is very likely the lastest version of a somebody who has trolled SS for a while. They didn't start getting insulted until they A- insulted one of the more respected SS posters B- started posting advice that was fundamentally incorrect.

Every legitmate response to this thread just gives this person the attention they're just bugging for.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about? I have never posted on 2+2 before, I am certainly not trying to be a troll, and I have never posted anything respectful questions and comments (except a few barely hostile responses to some real jerk posts on the SS forum). I don't know who you have me confused with, but I'm not here to troll, just to learn.

And as for "posting advice that is fundamentally incorrect" I can only assume you are referring to the Q8s post and the AJ post. As for the AJ hand, it's pretty clear I was correct. Q8s is more debatable, but I'd still fold it and leave it to other "better" players to play it.

As for "insulting" one of the more respected SS posters ... sfer talks down to SS constantly, and any disagreement with him he tends to treat as some mortal insult. He's often pedantic and childish. He's also sometimes just plain wrong, but the SS people seem to treat him like a god and he cannot ever admit it.

I'm sure he's nice in real life and all, but his posts are often unhelpful, sometimes counterproductive (like his short, empty "I'd do this"-type posts), and sometimes strategically incorrect. Yet when someone points this out, it's a sign of "disrespect"? I'm confident I am as good a SS player as he is, and I am sure there are many SS posters who can say the same, so disagreeing with him or pointing out when his posts are lame should hardly be the capital crime it has become on that forum. There are many good players there who can provide insight even when it is at odds with the "stars" of the board.

~ Tilts
Old 07-27-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for the AJ hand, it's pretty clear I was correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

What is funny, is that you made this long post stating that villian didnt open from the button. Then jason posted clearly showing that villian HAD TO BE the button.

Then you never returned.

Very easy 3-bet in our games if villian is the button (and, once they realized villian was the button) the entire MHS agreed.

EDIT: This was your post in MHS:

"If you are dealt AJo in the BB in a normal name (not too tight or too loose), 7-handed, and MP1 raises while the SB cold calls (in a 1/3 blind structure), what is hero's action? Call, raise or fold? Assume both the raiser and caller are unknowns. "

This was the hand:

Party Poker (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds, MP1 (unkown) raises, SB (unkown) calls, Hero calls </font>.

If you can explain how, in a 7 handed game, after 4 folds, the player acting isnt the button. I will listen.

But, Im assuming you will ignore this post, because you are clearly wrong.

You made an intentionally misleading post in MHS because you know that you made a mistake in the hand as it was posted.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about? I have never posted on 2+2 before, I am certainly not trying to be a troll, and I have never posted anything respectful questions and comments (except a few barely hostile responses to some real jerk posts on the SS forum). I don't know who you have me confused with, but I'm not here to troll, just to learn.

As for "insulting" one of the more respected SS posters ... sfer talks down to SS constantly, and any disagreement with him he tends to treat as some mortal insult. He's often pedantic and childish. He's also sometimes just plain wrong, but the SS people seem to treat him like a god and he cannot ever admit it.

I'm sure he's nice in real life and all, but his posts are often unhelpful, sometimes counterproductive (like his short, empty "I'd do this"-type posts), and sometimes strategically incorrect. Yet when someone points this out, it's a sign of "disrespect"? I'm confident I am as good a SS player as he is, and I am sure there are many SS posters who can say the same, so disagreeing with him or pointing out when his posts are lame should hardly be the capital crime it has become on that forum. There are many good players there who can provide insight even when it is at odds with the "stars" of the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to be helpful here...you asked for information earlier in this thread so here goes...

First, when dealing with the angrier people on the forums, the ignore button is a good thing to use if it REALLY bothers you. However, you CAN just ignore them since there will be a small likelihood that you will eventually see them face-to-face, you are just as anonymous as they are.

Second, finding the good information is a job that takes effort. Sometimes, it takes longer than others. There are certain forums I stay away from (WPT is an example) but others like the banter that takes place there. It's an escape from the reality from their real, virutal, or poker lives. I like the serious discussion so I tend to frequent those places. When I need strategy help, I lurk in those forums that provide that. If I have something to offer, I offer it, but my strength is not the poker strategy. Everyone has vastly different goals in their poker aspirations and that includes most of the new/veteran posters of 2 + 2. Sometimes those goals match yours and sometimes they don't match yours. Unfortunately, dealing with it becomes your responsibility - there is not much else to say.

Finally, it all boils down to power - the importance of being recognized for one's own gifts to the world. I don't know the user/player you identified, but if I had a problem with him I wouldn't say it in another place. I am not going to help you with your conflict with him. If that's what this is all about, all warnings aside, I just got hooked and that's a shame because that is just as much of a problem as with the negative comments of others. Seriously, if you are that good, you don't need validation from us...you already have it in your bankroll. Who cares?

Knowing your limitations, knowing your space, and knowing how to deal with the important stuff is far more important than wondering who the best player is...

FWIW

PB
Old 07-27-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As for the AJ hand, it's pretty clear I was correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

What is funny, is that you made this long post stating that villian didnt open from the button. Then jason posted clearly showing that villian HAD TO BE the button.

Then you never returned.

Very easy 3-bet in our games if villian is the button (and, once they realized villian was the button) the entire MHS agreed.

EDIT: This was your post in MHS:

"If you are dealt AJo in the BB in a normal name (not too tight or too loose), 7-handed, and MP1 raises while the SB cold calls (in a 1/3 blind structure), what is hero's action? Call, raise or fold? Assume both the raiser and caller are unknowns. "

This was the hand:

Party Poker (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds, MP1 (unkown) raises, SB (unkown) calls, Hero calls </font>.

If you can explain how, in a 7 handed game, after 4 folds, the player acting isnt the button. I will listen.

But, Im assuming you will ignore this post, because you are clearly wrong.

You made an intentionally misleading post in MHS because you know that you made a mistake in the hand as it was posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF IT WAS THE BUTTON.

What matters is that in an entirely unrelated post, Sfer decided to tell me I sucked and I effed up that hand by not reraising. When an unknown player raises, even from the button, and an unknown SB puts in 1 and 2/3 bets to call, and I look down at AJ off, it is a very, very borderline reraise, and probably just a call. The point was that Sfer was looking back through my other posts for some way to critique my play, and that was the best he could come up with. That's what I was right about. I'm fine with admitting it was a freaking button--what's silly is how much people focused on that and not on the SB's cold call. The SB is why it was not a clear reraise, and was probably just a call.

And I posted the exact same thing in MH before I realized it was actually the button. Then it was clarified in MH and it was STILL clear it was not an obvious reraise, and was probably just a call. I was obviously not trying to mislead anyone.

You see, this is the sort of thing that bugs me about these boards. You assume I was running to MH to try to get myself proven correct. That is absurd and childish and I never even considered it, but because this board has so many absurd children on it, you assumed I was just like you/them. In fact, Sfer had made me question my own play and I went there to see what the best players had to say. I wanted to learn and ask a question, but I got board stalked and the SS crew chimed in with flames. I say this with as much respect as I can and with complete sincerity--you need to grow up.

~ Tilts
Old 07-27-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Old 07-27-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll say it again--you need to grow up.

Even if it was the button, it's not an auto-reraise because of the SB's cold call. That was abundantly clear from the MH discussion. Perhaps you should read it.

~ Tilts
Old 07-27-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That was abundantly clear from the MH discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to reread the entire thread Tilts.

Linky for you.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Linky for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have read it. I don't need the link thanks.

~ Tilts
Old 07-27-2005, 07:03 PM

For the most part, people on this forum are treated the way they deserve to be treated. If you treat other people with respect they will return in kind.

I can't speak for your case because I haven't read all your posts.

The problem is that there is so much idiocy and trolling on these forums recently that people are overreacting. The hostily has gotten much worse recently.

Also, while not everything sfer says should be treated as gospel and he capable of being wrong, he plays very well and if you don't agree with what he says you should be open minded an reconsider your opinion.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Linky for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee... is it possible the converter was broken.

Anyway, let me get this straight. Everyone thinks "Tilts" is a troll, because he disagrees with other posters and has the temerity to aggressively debate his position (whether it be right or wrong)?

Whether or not he is the former "Matador" is irrelevant. It seems people have gone out of their way to actively antagonise him as well.

Disagreeing with an excellent poster is not trolling. Defending your position, even if wrong is not trolling. Following aqnother poster around simply to flame him is trolling.