Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 10:37 AM

Default How to play this bottom set

BB and Villain are the same type of players: Tight but bad players and is in love with overpairs. Easy to stack.

Stacksizes: Hero $800, Villain $700, BB $890

Hero is dealt 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero limps in MP, Villain raises $48 on the button, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (POT = $148)

BB checks, Hero checks, Villain bets $90, BB calls, Hero [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: How to play this bottom set

If I'm reading this right, this is 1/2 NL and villain opened for $48. That said, calling this preflop raise with 22 is bad. You'd have to find a way to get your whole stack in just about every time you flop a set, and hold up. I mean, lots of times he'll have AK here and whiff. Or has JJ on an AQ2 flop. Then what? Good luck doubling up.

Alright you got to this flop, and it's what you wanted. If they're in love with overpairs, find out if they have one. Checkraise to $300 ish, planning to push the turn if called. One of them with KK might push it for you. Why is this hand so confusing?

Kings
Old 07-20-2005, 10:56 AM

There's an old saying: Try to lose as much money as possible when you flop a set. Because that's how you win as much as possible. Get it? The odds are slim that someone else has a set. I vote for pushing all in.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:05 AM

I don't think this is NL with the stack sizes he's listed, i don't see what the blinds were though.

Why don't you lead out for 1/2 to 3/4 the pot that looks like a probing bet. If he has an overpair which is likely given his preflop raise there is a good chance he is going to raise you as your hand is somewhat disguised.

You want this pot to grow so that villan has to pot commit himself with any pot sized bet on the turn so you can get all in.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:08 AM

Raises to 300-400. Easy push on the turn if you get a call.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm reading this right, this is 1/2 NL and villain opened for $48.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the pot is $148 and there is 3 preflop callers including the big blind, than the small blind in this game is $4
Old 07-20-2005, 11:32 AM

I like leading out on this flop with this board. As you played it you should raise the flop.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:39 AM

I know that someone else doesnt have a set and nobody has the flushdraw.

Do I have to raise pot which gives my hand away and makes AA think of folding?
Is it alright to check-call and checkraise any non Ace or King turn or is it always a standard raise pot?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:09 PM

If you know that no one has a flush draw (or a set) - not sure how you do, but whatever, then a call here is correct. Fearing that someone is going to hit a 2 outer on the turn is not something you need to think about. Don't blow them off overpairs here - Get more money in by making your move on the turn.

I can live with occasionally (rarely) getting set-over-setted on the turn or river if it means I can get paid a lot more the times when I let overpairs get pot stuck.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that someone else doesnt have a set and nobody has the flushdraw.

Do I have to raise pot which gives my hand away and makes AA think of folding?
Is it alright to check-call and checkraise any non Ace or King turn or is it always a standard raise pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, you said they are both bad and in love with overpairs, so why would they fold AA? Go ahead and raise to $300, see if AA goes all in.
2nd, what is the blind structure, 3/6?
And lastly, how do you know neither has a flush draw, why wouldn't a bad player call the flop bet w/KsQs, etc? Anyway, time to checkraise, unless you plan on leading out a non-spade turn card for 2/3-full potsize bet.