Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Home Tourney Strategy Suggestions

This is my first post in this forum. I play in a monthly tournament. $10 buy in gets 1000 chips. Generally 16-18 players. Blinds go up hourly. They start at 10-25, then go to 25-50, 50-100, 100-200, 200-400, 400-800, and so on.

I've done well at them in the past, winning 2 of the last three I've played since August. Usually, I just play extremely tight until round 3 or so, and then I usually have to start getting hands in order to have a chance. I just happened to get some good hands that kept me from being blinded out.

Generally speaking, the play is mixed with some tight passive players, some loose passives, some loose aggressives, and 4 tight aggressives, including myself. Two players (the ones who host) consistently beat the Party 10+1 SnGs. One of them cannot win in live games, but the other does quite well, usually winning when I'm not there, but always finishing in the top 3.

Payout usually goes: 4th $10, 3rd $20, 2nd $40, 1st gets the remainder ($90-$110).

Any suggestions for a general strategy would be much appreciated.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Home Tourney Strategy Suggestions

Sounds like you're already using a winning strategy. Super tight for awhile and then wake up and start blasting. Just remember not to go weak-tight later because 3rd and 4th are not much money, you could probably make more if you bust in 8th or 9th and play a side game. You have to get to heads up so your chips can't be nailed down any time after round 3.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Home Tourney Strategy Suggestions

[ QUOTE ]
This is my first post in this forum. I play in a monthly tournament. $10 buy in gets 1000 chips. Generally 16-18 players. Blinds go up hourly. They start at 10-25, then go to 25-50, 50-100, 100-200, 200-400, 400-800, and so on.

I've done well at them in the past, winning 2 of the last three I've played since August. Usually, I just play extremely tight until round 3 or so, and then I usually have to start getting hands in order to have a chance. I just happened to get some good hands that kept me from being blinded out.

Generally speaking, the play is mixed with some tight passive players, some loose passives, some loose aggressives, and 4 tight aggressives, including myself. Two players (the ones who host) consistently beat the Party 10+1 SnGs. One of them cannot win in live games, but the other does quite well, usually winning when I'm not there, but always finishing in the top 3.

Payout usually goes: 4th $10, 3rd $20, 2nd $40, 1st gets the remainder ($90-$110).

Any suggestions for a general strategy would be much appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. So, if you are doing as well as you claim, why do you need any strategy suggestions. 2/3 wins is good, you can't do much better than that. Be careful though, in home tournaments players tend to get better the more they play.