Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 12:40 AM

Default I wanted to bet Ace high so badly, but alas, I am weak.

Pretty tight table so far, but not enough hands to have any definite reads.I actually hesitated on the turn and river, thinking I could either take the pot down or actually have some value with my ace high. Can anyone else bet in this spot?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (4 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

River: (4 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

Final Pot: 4 BB
Old 09-26-2005, 01:35 AM

Default Re: I wanted to bet Ace high so badly, but alas, I am weak.

Bet the flop, bet the turn, check behind on the river.

Way to passive
Old 09-26-2005, 02:46 AM

While this could be a decent "standard" line against 1-2 opponents, into 3 opponents I think this loses money if you are called by all 3 on the flop.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:49 AM

betting the flop is a must, if all three call, im probly still betting the turn, but may check depending on my reads, if anyone folds the flop, im definately betting turn and checking behind on river
Old 09-26-2005, 02:54 AM

You still bet the turn if all 3 call? Even though the vast majority of the time you are behind and will get called by a better hand? There's no way you're ahead often enough in this situation to value bet. If someone bluffs into 3 players on the river and knocks you off the best hand, so be it, it won't happen often enough that checking the turn is a mistake.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:00 AM

thats a good point, like i said i think the turn is read dependent, im really looking for someone to fold and to get a free showdown and if there the type to always take one off on the flop, im betting the turn, if not i think a check is fine, but if i can get someone to fold on the flop i am almost always betting turn
Old 09-26-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
..., but if i can get someone to fold on the flop i am almost always betting turn

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you explain the reason behind this? The one, who folds to the flop bet, has bad cards, but this doesn't affect the cards of the callers. Or is there some psychology behind this, which I don't know?
Old 09-26-2005, 03:16 AM

basically its just a smaller field to get through, a lot of players will call on the flop and then fold to a turn bet, with only 2 opponents is more likely that noone has a good and than with 3 and if i check behind they are likely to bet anything into me on the river

also keep in mind that unless i have a strong read, im folding to a raise on the turn
Old 09-26-2005, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
betting the flop is a must, if all three call, im probly still betting the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a good play against 3 other players.

[ QUOTE ]
if anyone folds the flop, im definately betting turn

[/ QUOTE ]

A continuation bet here is also not good against 2 players who called your flop bet. Against 1 player who you have a good read on maybe, (very slim) but 2 players is throwing away money

[ QUOTE ]
also keep in mind that unless i have a strong read, im folding to a raise on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of read do you need to have to call A high against a turn raise with 3 people calling your flop bet.
Throw it away, you are beat
Old 09-26-2005, 08:46 AM

Blind continuation betting is a great way to go broke, newhizzle.

This flop is a clear check. 3 opponents in a decent sized pot, limited draws sure, but you'll be lucky to get it heads up on the turn.

The turn is more interesting. No one is showing interest in the pot. The board paired. I think the biggest key for me is if I can get the first guy to act behind me to fold. I find if he calls, usually the rest call. If I can get a few folds, the last to act guy gets worried it might be heads up. But we really don't want 4 on this river, where we have no chance of winning UI.

So the turn is a bet if you think the first 2 guys could fold. If they're calling fish, there's no point, we're better of taking the free showdown like you did.