Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2004, 07:13 PM

Default Am I scum?

Here is a hand i played last week which I would like some opinions on. I had only been at this table for a few minutes, no reads on anyone.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed)

UTG <font color="purple">(Villain1)</font> ($$100)
Hero ($$97.90)
MP1 (nobody2) ($$35.70)
MP2 ($$109.80)
MP3 ($$43.55)
CO ($$71.95)
Button ($$36.30)
SB ($$111.85)
BB ($$37.95)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG <font color="purple">(Villain1)</font> calls $1, Hero calls $1, MP1 (nobody2) folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $1, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($5.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, Villain1 bets $3, Hero raises to $6, MP3 folds, SB folds, BB folds, Villain1 calls $3.

Turn: ($17.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Villain1 checks, Hero bets $8, Villain1 calls $8.

River: ($33.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Villain1 checks, Hero bets $15, Villain1 raises to $35, Hero raises to $55, Villain1 folds.

Final Pot: $123.50
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $103.50, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: $20, overbet by Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Th Ts (full house, tens full of sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins $123.50.
Yikes! Sorry EDIT: Villain later reveals he had the flush and a Queen in his hand.

</font>

At the end of this hand, the Villain went off on a bit of a tirade about how he couldn't believe how I chased that hand, I'm a retard, etc. etc.

My thoughs are:

He made a weak bet after the flop, so I'd raise him and try to take control of the hand. Yes, my raise was as weak as his original bet and probably should have been more. If he raised me back at this point, i would drop my hand. For this particular hand, I decided to play more aggresive. I'm not going to check my medium pocket pair EVERY time i see an overcard on the board.

On the turn when I bet and he just called, I figured he had to be on some sort of draw.

The 10, unfortunately for him, made his flush and my full house. I'm guessing the only reason he folded to my bet was because it was a weak flush.

I wonder why he was persuing a weak flush especially when the board was paired?

At any rate, how would yall have played this hand differently? I still think it's difficult to call me a chaser here when *I* was the one betting and the villain just calling.

Thank ya!

PS He knew my hand b/c i revealed my cards at the end..I'm not sure why I did this..maybe to show him the legitimacy of my hand? I realize this was a mistake. I *rarely* do this.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Am I scum?

No, you're not scum. He took the risk of slowplaying on the turn and got burned.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:12 PM

If he truly had the hand he said he did, that means he had top pair and four to a flush on the flop. He has no one to blame but himself for letting you push him around.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:36 PM

You played it horrendously.

Showing him what you had was worse.

scrub
Old 04-17-2004, 08:40 PM

As the next guy alluded to, I seriously doubt he was telling the truth. Maybe he had a queen but most party players will not lay down a queen high flush. Those that do are less likely to berate what they feel is bad play.

On the hand I would have been berated more because if I were betting and raising they would have been twice as big as your bet and raise. When you are on a bluff or have the nuts it's normally good to bet or raise the pot. With a coordinated board that is more important. If you thought your tens were good then raising to more like 10 or 12 bucks and then betting out the size of the pot on the turn (you bet a bit under 1/2 the pot) would give his draw poorer odds. If you don't think that your tens are good then you are much more likely to pull of a bluff by betting this amount. You will also be much less predictable and perhaps more importantly will have your big hands get paid off more because they won't know if it's a bluff or a real hand.

To answer the question you posed in the topic, no. It would be worse if he had control but you controlled the entire hand. As was said before if this guy had what he claimed and I doubt, then his play was less than impressive.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:02 PM

Yes, I doubt he had that hand the more I think about it. He probably had a queen, but his check raise on the river was probably an attempt to represent the flush. He wouldn't fold a queen-high flush just for $20 more.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:40 PM

Hey scrub,

I think the line itself was good; it was just the bet amounts that were horrendous... Agreed?

His opponent's play reeked of flush draw; I think Hero had the best hand all the way.

ML4L
Old 04-17-2004, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the line itself was good; it was just the bet amounts that were horrendous... Agreed?

His opponent's play reeked of flush draw; I think Hero had the best hand all the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Although if he gets called after putting in a decent sized raise on the flop, I'm not sure that coming out firing on the turn is always the best option.

scrub