Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2005, 05:01 PM

Default baby ace strategy

Ax hands, where x = 2 through 8 or 9. Small stakes no-limit tables.

I just never know what to do with them. The easy answer is "fold preflop." But it's not always that clear cut.
Why not limp if you're in late position and everyone limps?
Or how about Ax suited in mid or late position with a bunch of limpers?

Maybe it would be better raise and perhaps force out other weak hands so you're just up against one or two players, or maybe even take down the pot right there?

And then - post flop - your ace hits. What then? I guess i just find myself in tough situations with these hands.

Yes, poker is totally situational and "it depends." But any general advise on how to play these types of hands.

Or is Ax just -EV?

iash
Old 03-06-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: baby ace strategy

[ QUOTE ]
Ax hands, where x = 2 through 8 or 9. Small stakes no-limit tables.

I just never know what to do with them. The easy answer is "fold preflop." But it's not always that clear cut.
Why not limp if you're in late position and everyone limps?
Or how about Ax suited in mid or late position with a bunch of limpers?

Maybe it would be better raise and perhaps force out other weak hands so you're just up against one or two players, or maybe even take down the pot right there?

And then - post flop - your ace hits. What then? I guess i just find myself in tough situations with these hands.

Yes, poker is totally situational and "it depends." But any general advise on how to play these types of hands.

Or is Ax just -EV?

iash

[/ QUOTE ]

I play Ax when its folded to me in late position. I open raise it looking to take down the blinds. If a blind calls and checks to me, I'll fire a continuation bet regardless of the flop.

I play Axs when its limped to me in late position. I limp. Looking to hit a flush draw, two pair, pair+flush draw, etc.

Either way, if I see the flop, I play cautiously in a multiway pot.