Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 02:00 PM

Default home tourney tonight

Am about to embark on a Marathon pre-turkey day series of tournaments, looking for some advice on how to play.

Tourny info: Home game(s) 8-9 guys. Will probably play 8-10 $60 buy-in no limit tourney's. Payout will probably be $360 for 1st, $120 for 2nd, $60 for 3rd, for each tournament played. Players are average or below average skill level. Blind structure is fast (each tournament will last under an hour).

I am familiar with the playing style of about half of the players. My question is, what bearing does the extra long session (for us, at least) have on my playing style?

I'm thinking people might play looser, knowing they'll have many more opportunities to make back their money if they should bust out.

Anyone have experience with these types of sessions?

thanks
iash
Old 11-24-2004, 02:17 PM

Default Re: home tourney tonight

I have never played that many different tournaments in one day. However, I think that your assessment that people will play looser in the first couple and then play with desperation (or potentially boredom) in the last one or two is probably correct. Adjust accordingly. I would be curious to see if one person wins the first couple if some people would leave.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am about to embark on a Marathon pre-turkey day series of tournaments, looking for some advice on how to play.

Tourny info: Home game(s) 8-9 guys. Will probably play 8-10 $60 buy-in no limit tourney's. Payout will probably be $360 for 1st, $120 for 2nd, $60 for 3rd, for each tournament played. Players are average or below average skill level. Blind structure is fast (each tournament will last under an hour).

I am familiar with the playing style of about half of the players. My question is, what bearing does the extra long session (for us, at least) have on my playing style?

I'm thinking people might play looser, knowing they'll have many more opportunities to make back their money if they should bust out.

Anyone have experience with these types of sessions?

thanks
iash

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing 8-10 tourneys in row? In under an hour each??
I'd rather play roulette.

Sounds like a crap shoot... so your looking at what 35-40 hands total if you deal like a mother... how are you going to handle your blind levels - huge jumps every rotation??

I'd definitely lower my starting requirements to maybe flipping a coin for all-in or not. I wouldn't have more than 2-3 rebuys... LOL

Sorry I don't have much to offer. I think I might play very aggressive & try to see some flops cheap plus increase my number of playable hands... though I'd still rather put $50 on Red & $10 on 20-Black.

Good luck and let us know how it worked out and what your final format ended up being (i.e. starting chips, blinds, min/level etc..)

- Fins
Old 11-24-2004, 04:17 PM

Will be sure to post the results, but I can tell you the chip/blind structure right now...

Everyone starts out with 1500t chips.

blinds increase every 2 trips around the table.

25/50
50/100
75/150
200/400
300/600 (capped)

no rebuy's.

The quick tournaments is more a result of 1/2 the players being maniacs than the blind structure, IMO.

iash