Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Why rebuys are wierd

Do you call here? I'm not sure what the move should be given that it's a rebuy (before the break).

Bison's hand converter isnt working so I'll summarize.

I have TT, t975, blinds of 10/20. Early in the tourney, but the table has been a little wacko (it's a $10r).

1 fold, call, 3rd to act min raises to 40, I make it 120 to go, 2 folds, All in (1655), all in (650), all in (1615), 2 folds, *I close the action*

What's my move?
Old 07-19-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Why rebuys are wierd

with only 975 chips, definitely call. if you lose, you lose 1 rebuy. if you win, you are getting 2.5 rebuys. unless you have a lot of respect for one of the players, go ahead and call it. btw, you should be rebuying before the first hand is dealt [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2005, 09:29 PM

Just to add, I realize that I would have needed at least one more caller to technically get pot odds here, but should I call just because it's a rebuy and a chance to have a huge stack for the rest of the tourney?
Old 07-19-2005, 09:40 PM

Do you mean this hand (so never be below 1k) or the first hand of the tourney? Can't before the first hand of the tourney b/c you need less than 1k hands...
Old 07-19-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to add, I realize that I would have needed at least one more caller to technically get pot odds here, but should I call just because it's a rebuy and a chance to have a huge stack for the rest of the tourney?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. even if you had rebought before the hand i'd probably still call. have a big stack is +++ev in touraments. when you've got 2k or less, if you bust you just rebuy twice, its not like it takes you time to build up that stack.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:25 PM

Umm, I'm wagering hero wins this hand about 15-20% of the time. You have to figure at least ONE of them has an overpair to yours. Playing in a rebuy isn't an excuse to spew chips.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By rough estimation, you are getting about 3.25:1, or in other words, you need to win just under 24% of the time.

Unless there is an overpair here, you appear to be in okay shape. The second-worst case scenario is something like:

cards EV
Tc Th 0.242
Ah Jh 0.285
Kc Qc 0.290
7s 7h 0.184

I agree that if there are no rebuys, you have to lay this down, because you'd rather not risk your tourney life on a 25% shot.

But with rebuys, your tournament does not end, and neither does your opponent's -- which means that _they_ may be calling with weaker holdings. That means you could reasonably be up against a lower pocket pair, AJo, and AQo:

cards EV
Tc Th 0.366
As Jd 0.178
7c 7d 0.184
Ac Qd 0.272

In that case, it's a no-brainer.

I think the situations like #2 occur often enough in rebuy tournaments to justify a call.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:32 PM

I think you should fold here.

Since you put out the words "pot odds" realize that you need more than one more caller to get the correct odds. The only time you could play a pair when you know you are behind with 3 other opponents is when you have implied odds if you do hit. In this case being all-in gives you no chance of making up those odds if you are behind to a higher PP.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:37 PM

Its not like he's risking t7000 against the chipleader here... if he loses, he is losing 1 rebuy. Taking the risk to have a big stack is worth it to me... don't know why some of you guys are suck tight-asses lol.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:03 PM

Even if you are right, which I'll concede you are closer to being right than I originally thought, there's no need to be a jackass about it. You're not God's gift to poker, so you can drop the act.