Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Major Downswing..........seriously lost

I know nothing of a downswing like that as I only play the 22s but being down money after 750 games (2 months worth of play for me) takes its toll on my confidence in my poker skills. I can't remember the last time I had a "good" day.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:48 PM

I reccommend watching a juicy game for a while without sitting in it. After a half an hour of watching some folks donk it it up, you should have much more confidence in your own game.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:04 PM

Jared,

I think it was that 7 buy in beating I put on you at Hollywood Park, sent you into hypertilt. Seriously though, you have been crushing the 10-20 for a while now, take a step back, and review your hands. I know you were playing to many hands. The biggest thing is to not try to make it back in 1 day, or 1 month for that matter. I would even suggest not playing or the rest of the month. Go enjoy your trip, and forget about poker for a while.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:13 PM

Rojosox,

Well, look at it this way too....you've been playing a ton of poker in the last year or whatever and from everything I've heard you've had some pretty great runs of profit. I've been surprised I didn't see this post sooner given how much you play and the stakes you play for.

Your downswing doesn't mean you've suddenly lost your skill....likely you are playing sub-optimally from where you were playing *PLUS* you're seeing 'IT' playing at high stakes so the absolute $$ involved is so much.

I think taking a break or playing something where the $$ involved won't have such an affect on you for a short while may be beneficial.

Maybe you should just become a pro pineapple player, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Yugoslav
Old 12-07-2005, 02:57 PM

I'm just coming off a 20-some buy-in losing streak. Looking at my HHs between the last 30 crappy games and the first 30 not-crappy games, three things really stuck out at me:

1) I was in too many marginal hands, especially OOP.
2) My bets were shrinking as the streak went on. (I suspect this is less useful in limit play, but I noticed that my bets had slowly gone from 1/2- and pot-size to 1/4- and 1/2-pot.)
3) I was super-mega-crazy-tilted after the first bad day, when a number of good opportunities were sabotaged by bad luck. This weird SMC-tilt lasted almost a week as I became one giant self-fulfilling prophecy; even though the tilt had me convinced that I was tremendously unlucky, I was really getting myself into -EV situations over and over, forcing flips and 40/60s when I didn't really need to.

Just as variance delivers its unholy cargo every now and then, it will save us in the end. Good luck, play hard, and if you start to get that tilty feeling, get off the table. ^_^

oh, and one thing I do that I've never heard of anyone else doing: I write long and detailed bad-beat stories for my blog, read them, leave them on my screen a while, and then never publish them. It's almost as good as telling someone else, except you don't have to deal with the audible sigh and eye-roll.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:02 PM

FWIW, I have sweated you a few times this past week (215's). Seems like you are playing optimally there, and could keep grinding out a profit there. Anyways, don't cash games swing a lot more than SnG's??? I tend to avoid them for this reason.

Wish you the best
Old 12-07-2005, 05:13 PM

Jared you already know my advice. I know people like to play through these things or drop down but I have always found that a break from playing before going to work on HHs and reading is best. If you decide to keep playing then make sure you stay well bankrolled for the games you are in and be sure to watch your game extra closely for mistakes.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:39 PM

Put in more hours. You are a very good player. You are running very bad. You are sad because you are running bad. When you run better and make money you will be happy. So play more. The more you play the sooner you will run better. And the sooner you run better the sooner you'll be happy. And that's the important thing, being happy.

Good Luck.

moses
Old 12-07-2005, 05:44 PM

dude, that last guy's post was poetic. you should change your location to "sad because running bad" or some [censored]. laughter = medicine.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jared you already know my advice. I know people like to play through these things or drop down but I have always found that a break from playing before going to work on HHs and reading is best. If you decide to keep playing then make sure you stay well bankrolled for the games you are in and be sure to watch your game extra closely for mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is easily the best advice in this thread. I find that when I am running bad at sngs, it is usually best to take a weekend off, and blow off some steam (read: booze and womanize, maybe a round of golf or two.) After taking a day or two off from playing, play a few less tables, study up, and get your mind back in the right frame.