Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Non result-oriented goals post

The past have has been really kind to me, I have doubled my bankroll. But I have played like [censored] and just run good. I am so pissed at my poor play, maybe making this post will help me reduce my leaks, maybe it will just be cathartic, who knows.

In the future I will endeavour to:

- Not tilt. I'll often play really laggy just because it is more fun, sometimes I even play like a maniac. This is dumb and costs me a lot of money. If I really feel the urge to do this, then drop down to .5/1 and piss away 100bbs there, rather than at 5/10.

- Fold more, especially on the river. Too often I will get raised on the turn, have a middling hand and think "I should call down here but fold if the river is a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]". Then the river comes a diamond, and I think "Man, surely he can't have runner runner flushed me, he could me on complete air etc. etc." and call only to lose far far too often for my river call to have been profitable. Or a really passive bets into me on a 4 flush river and I cant let my hand go, because maybe, just maybe, this time he is bluffing. I should also realise that sometimes it is right to fold to a bet, even if you know for certain there is a chance he is bluffing.

- Don't underestimate the stupidity of the opposition. This is really important. Don't assume they play anything approaching rationally.

e.g I raise with KQ, fish calls in blind. Flop is J42r. He check calls, which he would do with any 2. Turn is a 9. He checks, I bet because I could well have the best hand and I can take a free showdown if I dont hit. He calls, so I have him on some crappy pair like 84o. River is an Ace. He checks. I bet, because he is now behind to almost every hand I can possibly hand. He has to let his crappy pair go on this river, right? Wrong! Don't try and bluff bad players. They call down with anything. From which follows

- Value bet the river more. Just because you have TT and the board is K832Q and your fish has been calling down all the way, don't think "well on that river he can't possibly call me with a worse hand". Bet. They call down with anything! Don't leave bets on the table.

- Respect river raises and c/r more. These can almost always beat 1 pair, except from the most aggresive of players. Don't pay off river check raises with bottom two when a scary card came on the end. You got rivered, accept it and move on. Dont waste 1 BB just so you can confirm your read and feel smug that you only lost the pot because your opponent played the hand badly.

- Fold in small pots more. You raise AK, typical fish calls in bb. Flop is J72r. He bets out. Just fold, he has a pair, you wont get him off it, you could be reverse dominated and the pot is really really small. Next hand!

- Tighten up preflop. I am mainly 6 tabling at the moment, hoping to increase to 8. Hands that are marginally profitable 2 tabling because -EV when playing this many tables. It is also much more stressful.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Non result-oriented goals post

Good post, thanks. I will endeavor to do the same [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]