Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2004, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Mike Cappelletti\'s New Book

Mason,

It's funny you mention that, because my impression was that Cappeletti's book was hard to read. Not necessarily that the strategies were bad, but it's almost like a stream of consciousness book to me.

That having been said, this book does answer some of my questions about how to play certain hands, like potential 2nd and 3rd best hands. In the past, I've thrown these away without a second thought, fearing that I'd be drawing dead only to find out that the hand was good on showdown because everyone else was going high or low, or was betting on crappier hands than I would have had. Now, he talks about raising with the 3rd best hand, to make a potential 2nd best hand fold. This seems to make sense, but if you have a bunch of people playing 2nd best hands in the loose passive game he talks about, they might stay in anyways and you'd be losing even more money to the nuts.

It did help me on how to play the different types of flops. Whether there's 0, 1, 2 or 3 high cards coming on the flop helps me to play my hand a little better. I'm through the book once, I'll have to read it again to absorb everything and figure out what's good and what's crap.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Mike Cappelletti\'s New Book

"Now, he talks about raising with the 3rd best hand, to make a potential 2nd best hand fold. This seems to make sense, but if you have a bunch of people playing 2nd best hands in the loose passive game he talks about, they might stay in anyways and you'd be losing even more money to the nuts."

This is one of the really big faults with this book - he sets up a play which simply cannot work with the game conditions he described. If you get into the habit of raising with the 3rd nuts in Omaha, you better get into the habit of needing more money too.