Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-20-2005, 02:22 PM

Default ($16) TT in the BB

Villain is ABC.

Blinds are 100/200 a25. We are 5 handed.

Relevant Stacks:
UTG t2195
Hero in BB with t1755

UTG raises to 800, folds to Hero who...

I am 100% sure he is calling a push and I figure he at best has over cards or very likely a higher pair. I figure the only PP I am beating that he might do this with is 99 and maybe 88.

Fold, push, or stop and go?
Old 12-20-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: ($16) TT in the BB

Interesting hand. An ABC player raising 4 of his remaining 11bb's. Hmmmmm...

What motivates him to NOT open push himself? Either something that he's not 100% committed to going broke with, or a hand that really wouldn't mind a call.

I'm not even looking to screw around with a huge Ace, TT-QQ. I'd expect to see an open push more from these types of hands. That just leaves the big boys, and the pairs you beat. And as you mentioned, how low of a pocket pair could he be representing here...maybe just the 88-99 stuff. You do see all kinds of goofy leads with stacks that you'd think might be open pushing. But more so on the weaker side...limps, and mins.

Can you dig up/approximate the stacks of the others?
Old 12-20-2005, 02:56 PM

If his range is what you say it is and you're sure he'd call a push, pushing is not a good idea.

But a stop-n-go is an intriguing option. If you put him on a range 99+,AJs+,AJo+,KQs,KQo, 72% of the time he'll have two overs. And he'll only improve on the flop ~32% of the time. If you figure he'll call even when he doesn't improve on the flop ~25% of the time, I cast my vote for the stop-n-go.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:01 PM

Rough estimates of stacks besides UTG and myself:

UTG+1 = 6k
MP = 1k
SB = 3k
Old 12-20-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting hand. An ABC player raising 4 of his remaining 11bb's. Hmmmmm...

What motivates him to NOT open push himself? Either something that he's not 100% committed to going broke with, or a hand that really wouldn't mind a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either that, or he's a straightforward player who doesn't know how to work shorter stacks, which is my usual assumption at low buyins until I see otherwise. In this case I'm not sure it matters too much, as he's probably not going to find a fold no matter what, and against his likely range TT isn't that exciting.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:29 PM

Given your range, IT states that we need JJ+ (assuming he pushed). Certainly pretty close. I might just find a fold here. Easier done if the two guys on my left weren't resisting too much (including this villian). Even after being blind raped, you still have a fair amount of FE over both the mid-stacks. I don't think pushing over is all that bad either though.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:32 PM

Yah, I think folding here is the best option.

I wound up stop and going on an ace high board and he went into the tank and called with like 3 seconds left in his timebank with QQ.

So close yet so far away.