Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-16-2005, 03:03 PM

Default God article

tell us how you really feel Cenk....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cenk-u...mu_b_9349.html
Old 12-16-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: God article

Wow. I feel like that sometimes too. On the one hand, I don't mind people believing what they want -- I have seen it make people happier. But, on the other, those beliefs often lead into the people being controlled by those who know how to manipulate the believers. This is bad.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:55 PM

It's strange how someone can be mostly right and still entirely miss the point. Is there something that religion points to, yes. Do people mistake the finger pointing at the moon for the moon itself, yes. Is the way to break their delusion to berate them, no. Does this guy get it, not quite, which in this case means entirely. Just another ranting post from someone who thinks he knows what's up but through his writing demonstrates his ignorance about ignorance, bahh humbug.

-Stew
Old 12-16-2005, 07:58 PM

I will never defend religion. Religion will kill you quicker than anything else.

You said...

Jesus is said to have said on the cross, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" Because Jesus was insane and the God he thought would rescue him did not exist. And he died on that cross like a fool. He fancied himself the son of God and he could barely convince twelve men to follow him at a time when the world was full of superstition.

You have a lot to say, not much other than personal opinion though. You make statements like "Because Jesus was insane", are you actually stating that as fact or just rambling. Even the theory that Jesus was mad has been tested by phsycologists, he showed no signs of real insanity but a sharp mind and intelligence.

"My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" Jesus did not say this because he believed God would rescue him. He knew that he was going to die like that and said so to his disciples. The reason he said it was because for the first time he was seperated from God, and that withdrawl is what brought up the gut-wrenching cry of Jesus. God had to withdraw because, the price for sin is seperation from God. He did look like a fool, yes, which made me question why he fought so hard to go through with it...

Your last point about his disciples, he chose a bunch of incapables to show us something. Yes, his disciples continually let him down, disowning him and Judas betraying him. But, the thing that is fascinating is what happened after he died, this bunch of inadequates turned into world changers who did just that. The early church exploded in numbers despite harsh oppostion, the disciples told that it was because Jesus showed himself to them and others after he died. You don't have to belive that because it's written, it does reason thought though. In 2000 years the rapid spread of a message that is so hard to accept calls me to look into it and question it at least.

you were right, his disciples were doubtful and had little faith. Still, people flocked to Jesus while he was alive there was something different about him. People are still coming to Jesus now 2000 years later. This Jesus has a huge following, why do you think it is?

It's so common to hear that weak people need a crutch, Jesus is that crutch.. If this crutch in question can change a person in the worst state of humanity into a strong world changer then I would glady express my need for such a crutch.
I'm a poet, and it previously hadn't occured to me...

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
quoted by Herbet Spencer.

The way to look at any interesting theory is to weigh the evidence personally, not on another mans opinions but to investigate the facts and come to a personal conclusion.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We live in a world full of insane people. Sanity is an island battered in an ocean of frothing delusion. The people who believe in science are the minority. The people who believe in bloody fairytales are the overwhelming majority.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he overstated his case in this one eensy teensy spot. They aren't insane, merely susceptible to act like it when religion drives some cause. hmmm..ok, maybe in some way fundamentalists are insane, since insane means super out of touch with reality.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even the theory that Jesus was mad has been tested by phsycologists, he showed no signs of real insanity but a sharp mind and intelligence.

[/ QUOTE ]

What has that got to do with sanity? What about Unibomber and Bobby Fischer and ...
Would somebody wandering about making the claims JC did not be ruled insane today? ?? ? Hard to see how thinking your are the son of god is more sane than thinking you are napolean.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I will never defend religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you just did.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:11 PM

If you were the Son of God it would be perfectly sane to say so.

"It's true that people with phsycological dificulties will often claim to be somebody that their not.", "However, psychologists don't just look at what a person says. They'll go much deeper than that. They'll look at a persons emotions, because disturbed individuals frequently show innapropriate depression, or they might be vehemently angry, or perhaps they're plagued with anxiety. But look at Jesus, he never displayed inappropriate emotions."
There is much more.

They may have thinking disorders, misperceptions, display unsuitable behaviour. "Jesus didn't show any signs of being out of contact with reality. He spoke clearly, powerfully and eloquently. He was brilliant and had absolutely amazing insights into human nature."

He had many relaionships with people from very different walks of life, and maintained a balance despite his often demanding lifestyle.

The psychologists diagnosis --
"All in all, I just don't see signs that Jesus was suffering from any know mental illness," he concluded, adding with a smile, "he was much healthier than anyone else I know - including me!"
Quoted by Gary R. Colins, PH.D
Old 12-17-2005, 08:43 PM

It's good to know a psychologist gave Jesus a clean bill of health 2000 years after his death.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But look at Jesus, he never displayed inappropriate emotions."

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, most of the certifiably sane people I know would be just a tad upset over people driving nails in their hands.