Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-10-2005, 03:57 PM

Default 15/30 going for the river bet/3-bet

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (6 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG folds.

River: (8 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>

villain is a bit loose and super aggressive with his strong hands, but not crazy. sometimes I play the flop differently.

on the river I doubt he's on a bluff, but he might check behind or bet/fold some PPs. I thought there was a good chance he'd raise a lot of aces here. I try these sort of plays on the turn a ton, but on the river w/ nonobvious draws is a fairly new idea to me. I like the WA/WB line, especially against these types of players, so this seems like a good metagame balance.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: 15/30 going for the river bet/3-bet

I think this is fine, as we definetly don't want him checking the river. There is no way in hell you can call this WA/WB though.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is fine, as we definetly don't want him checking the river. There is no way in hell you can call this WA/WB though.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's saying that this looks like the WA/WB line that he might use against this player in true WA/WB situations; using it here, if Villain is observant (but not observant enough to notice that he "used" the line in a 4-way flop), with a rivered monster, has benefits for other hands in which he really does use the line.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:02 PM

I don't understand, what hand can the hero/villain have on this board that makes it a WA/WB? Exactly 88 for hero(maybe 99 as anything higher would be 3-bet pre-flop and the villain has a higher pp?) I don't think that this is a WA/WB board. I guess the villain could have 77 as well, but that's getting out there.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:17 PM

I think this is perfect. Villain's range includes many hands like overpairs to the flop that may not bet the river because of the ace on the turn, along with hands strong enough to raise your river bet so that you can 3-bet.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand, what hand can the hero/villain have on this board that makes it a WA/WB? Exactly 88 for hero(maybe 99 as anything higher would be 3-bet pre-flop and the villain has a higher pp?) I don't think that this is a WA/WB board. I guess the villain could have 77 as well, but that's getting out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this hand is anything close to WA/WB. And I also don't think any reasonably observant opponent would view it as a WA/WB scenario. That's why, when just trying to clarify what I though Spicymosse was misinterpreting about OP's post I said:

[ QUOTE ]
. . . using it here, if Villain is observant (but not observant enough to notice that he "used" the line in a 4-way flop) . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

I could have clarified that the board also doesn't lend itself to WA/WB even if HU, but I was really just trying to clarify that the OP wasn't thinking it was WA/WB -- I think he was supposing that Villain would likely remember Hero's C/C, C/C, bet line and that this would have some meta game benefits when Hero actually used the WA/WB line in the right situation.

I might C/R the river if the read of "super aggressive" includes virtually never checking behind on the river, but capable of raising a river donk with no more than a strong A or a big PP with an A on board, but I'd be more likely to bet this (and three-bet if given the chance).
Old 12-11-2005, 02:52 AM

Gotta bet that river, but I really would be surprised if he raised.