Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-29-2005, 11:21 PM

Default Re: 5/10 NL SH--chip spewing? (deep stacks)

PF is fine, both the raise and the call. On the turn, things get interesting... his weak bet screams to get raised, so it would be hard not to. Problem is, the pot has already gotten too big, and there's no reason for him to assume you had him beat pre-flop, so you're trying to convince him you a) caught your gutshot or b) made two-pair/set. Both possible, but I think it's a pretty tough sell, and given your super-aggro image at that point, he'll be inclined to disbelieve.

I think this would've been better if suits did matter, since then you have "flush" outs, too, so you can still call the turn, then push a flush/7 pairing, or any other scary river. As played, I'd feel nauseated but fold on the turn.

Kirk
Old 11-29-2005, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Stacks are big enough that you can call the preflop rr if you choose. But your plan is now to flop big or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see how these can both be correct. You aren't getting odds to outflop AA-QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice deep stacks, we have 20:1 implied odds. I could be wrong, but I think we have at least a 5% chance of outflopping a big pair.

I would also count a flush draw or OESD as flopping big. Certainly we have a fair chance of flopping one of those.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sometimes you flop something nice and lose. Are you factoring that in? With this hand I think you should want to see better than 20:1 and you aren't. I would also want to know he is a tight re-raiser and that he will pay me off postflop. Against someone who is not known to take a big pair way too far postflop I think you had better either be able to steal postflop to augment your EV occasionally or you had better fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP has said that he's running over the table, which to me means that they're going to take their big pairs too far, assuming he's stealing yet again. No info on how tight a reraiser villain is, true. Perhaps I'm reading too much into the statement that OP is running over everyone and raising constantly. To me, that means BIG PAYOFF when you hit against someone who finally decides to take a stand.

I'm a big fan of Ciaffone's rule of 5 and 10 when it comes to calling reraises: a raise of less than 5% of opponent's stack is a call, more than 10 is a fold. This is less than 5.

I also have no problems with a fold, of course. That's why I said "should you choose" in my response. The option of folding is good for your variance, and it's what I usually do, I must admit.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:32 PM

OK, seems like we're pretty much on the same page. I think if it were, say, 30:1 it would definitely be a call. If it were 10:1 it would definitely be a fold. At 20:1 it seems close to me and I would fold. Seems like you would, too, most of the time. And the times I would call would be when I have a good read on the guy and think that I will know when he's likely to pay me off and when I'm likely to be able to steal.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:06 AM

Default results

BB called the all-in with AK. river bricked, i won the pot. i guess he put me on AQ [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].

"chip spewing" was in the title b/c no matter the results there needs to be thought behind the actions. i have to say no matter my image i was surprised he called with Ace high. i guess he wasn't going to be pushed around anymore, but its a cash game with deep stacks? seems odd. whatever.

now i have a question. some say the post flop play was good and some say the preflop play was terrible, i personally would play preflop the same way shorthanded against the opponents in this particular game the way things had been going again...now postflop i feel i may do things different (that weak bet needed to be raised not pushed as mentioned, pushing does kind of scream for a call).

i feel i was fortunate this time b/c more times than not a winner calls me down there. like Zeebo said "i think a big pair looks you up here," well hell ace high did so i think anything was going to, so my question is this, does that make it a good or bad play?

i have a player on tilt willing to call his stack off with Ace high but i have him read wrong and am trying to push him of 10's and higher...man glad my pair of 6's-4 kicker was good [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].