Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: I say I\'m sorry as I check-raise

[ QUOTE ]
A few minutes later he comes back to the table saying "You don't say "sorry" and check-raise." I say, "I was."

[/ QUOTE ]

What were you sorry about?

-McGee
Old 11-18-2005, 01:32 PM

I understand not saying you're sorry, but I don't understand this:

[ QUOTE ]
Andy Fox corrected me one time because I commented that I got "lucky" to an opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once I had pocket kings against an AAxx board heads-up by the turn. I thought there was a good chance I was better so I bet the turn. On the river I made kings full to beat A3-offsuit or something.

Was I lucky my kings beat his lousy ace? Of course not. Was I lucky to fill up on the river? Damn straight I was.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:00 PM

Sorry should be saved for stuff you aren't intentionally responsible for, like someone else nailing him on the river or missing that you have the winning hand in what appears to be a slow roll.

You should not apologize for things you have total control over.

Action: Kick in the nuts
Response: Sorry [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should have bet the river. This would have solved two problems, keeping the game friendly, and making sure the river is bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, as far as keeping the game friendly, point taken. As far as making sure a bet went in, most of the time I would bet. From the way he bet the turn though I was pretty sure he was going to bet the river so I chanced it.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:41 PM

There are a few problems with saying "sorry."

-It comes across as disingenuous, as he pointed out.

-It might make him think you're trying to get him to call by making him suspect you're bluffing by saying it, and lots of players see that as a kind of angle or cheap trick, especially in a "friendly" game.

-There's nothing to be sorry about. It comes across as condescending.

Other day I made a straight on the river. I was sitting in the 7 seat, from which I can't see the cards real well. A player bet and I was honestly rescanning the board to make sure there was no flush possible. So it took me a little more time than usual, and then I raised. The bettor said, "Good job, next time take a little more time." I could have given him an exlanation, but usually any explanation, even one as concise as "sorry" won't come across very well. So I said nothing, which, in my experience, is usually the best thing to say.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:43 PM

I think it's your inherited knack of getting under peoples skin.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:45 PM

F him. Next time checkraise and LOL really loud.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:52 PM

Just say "I pop you one time." They really like this... I wonder why some guy wanted to play me headsup so badly the other day...

Frankly, you shouldn't worry about their feelings when playing poker. As long as you are a nice enough guy, people get over the "bad beats" and will actually enjoy playing with you. Some guys love playing with you because they want to beat you, others just like you personally. It doesn't matter. Have fun while playing poker - it is a game after all. The other thing to remember is the best thing about poker is you always have the right to bet, raise or fold. It's all your choice. Something about that level of freedom appeals to me. I never understand why people find it so irritating when an opponent acts on that freedom in a way that's uncomfortable to you. It's the American spirit at it's finest (cue America the Beautiful...)
Old 11-18-2005, 02:54 PM

Don't be an ass. If you were truly "sorry" for sucking out, you wouldn't raise him. You're happy you did and that you get extra money. Let the chips talk and keep your mouth shut. No one is ever truly "sorry" for winning or sucking out in a poker hand.

Jeff
Old 11-18-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if anyone has a simliar account of pissing of an agreeable player, I'd love to hear it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The type of reaction you will get for saying "Sorry" is certainly player-dependent.

Indeed, this past summer, while playing in a juicy 5-10 kill game at Foxwoods, I was already into my ritual tequila shots while joking it up with a friendly, cool, loose-passive Black guy who was on my direct right.

I was in the SB with 77, and there were a few limpers to my buddy on the Button, who limped, as did I. I then flopped a set on a low-str8ish board. I bet, and three players, including my buddy, called. The turn brought a not very threatening card (maybe a T or J?), and I bet again. It was folded around to my buddy, who said with seeming sincerity "I'm sorry, but I have to checkraise you," after which he put out his raise.

I pondered for a moment, and replied "Well, I'm really sorry as well, but I think I'm going to have to reraise you," after which I put out my chips.

My buddy let out a groan, double-checked his cards, chuckled while saying something like "Maybe my hand isn't as good as I thought it was," and then called.

The river went bet-call, and after I showed my set, he tabled his queens and gave me a good natured head nod while saying "Good hand."

And while this was all happening, a couple of other players were smiling or laughing softly, with one young guy proclaiming "Wow, that was like the most polite action I've ever seen." [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

And no offense was taken by anyone.