Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Re: T9s, a hand v Hobbs.

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think we should be betting the turn, calling the raise, and donk-betting the river even if the T doesn't come up. And I do think we need to call a river raise because if Hobbs knows who you are he's got to know you are donking the river with the intent of folding to a raise a huge percentage of the time. (In fact, in Hobbs position, if he knew it were you, you could argue raising the river is better than calling with almost any hand he'd want to call with).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with everything WD said. I prefer the river bet because there are many times where Hobbes may try for the free showdown on the turn, he may not call a check-raise, but he will most likely call a donk bet. However if he raises the river, its time to release the hand.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 01:57 AM

All depends on what Hobbs thinks on the river. Hobbs where are you?
Old 11-16-2005, 02:03 AM

Hi Brett,

You played the flop and turn perfectly. To continue your mastery of the three streets, bet the river again.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Kailia
Old 11-16-2005, 02:31 AM

Lead. I think he has 55-88 almost all the time, and he'll probably value bet 77 and 88. The problem is that he can fold to your check-raise, so you are better off leading out and picking up value from 55 and 66.

Will
Old 11-16-2005, 02:32 AM

Donk it.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lead. I think he has 55-88 almost all the time, and he'll probably value bet 77 and 88. The problem is that he can fold to your check-raise, so you are better off leading out and picking up value from 55 and 66.

Will

[/ QUOTE ]

umm...what hands do you think Hobbs thinks will call his river bet if he is to bet 66 or 77 or whatever?

I'm pretty sure he'll just check through with the mid pairs, especially since it's more likely that he has a smallish pair since he only limped. I'm guessing he'd be raising 88 preflop here...

Betting the river is good though because he may call out of confusion with his small pair and will surely call with a 9 with a good kicker (maybe A9s).

Also, I think if Hobbs flopped a monster he'd have popped it on the flop and hoped everyone called with their overcards and flush draws or medium pairs or whatever. A lot of hands that will call one bet on this flop will call two so I don't put him on a flopped boat or trips.

With that said, I think it's really unlikely that he has 99 since there is only one combination to make that and he'd very likely raise that preflop. So if you do get popped when you lead the river I say it's a call as he may be bluff raising or value raising something like A9.

-WT
Old 11-16-2005, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

umm...what hands do you think Hobbs thinks will call his river bet if he is to bet 66 or 77 or whatever?

[/ QUOTE ]

um...55-88. His entire range. Unless he has something random like A4s.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure he'll just check through with the mid pairs, especially since it's more likely that he has a smallish pair since he only limped. I'm guessing he'd be raising 88 preflop here...

[/ QUOTE ]

He'll be a lot more prone to limp 88 with brett limping in front of him. Plus, what hands does he put Brett on? Oh, right, 55-88. But whatever. We may disagree with what hands Hobbes will value bet, but it doesn't really matter...the play is clearly to lead the river, and you agree.

[ QUOTE ]

Betting the river is good though because he may call out of confusion with his small pair and will surely call with a 9 with a good kicker (maybe A9s).

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...yeah. I don't disagree.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I think if Hobbs flopped a monster he'd have popped it on the flop and hoped everyone called with their overcards and flush draws or medium pairs or whatever. A lot of hands that will call one bet on this flop will call two so I don't put him on a flopped boat or trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

With that said, I think it's really unlikely that he has 99 since there is only one combination to make that and he'd very likely raise that preflop. So if you do get popped when you lead the river I say it's a call as he may be bluff raising or value raising something like A9.

[/ QUOTE ]

And in other breaking news, it has been recently revealed that the Pope is indeed Catholic.

Will
Old 11-16-2005, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Copincidentally, Hobbs is sitting to my right here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean your left -- he's UTG+1, acting after you, correct?

Anyway, I guess I'm alone in preferring a check-call on this river. He may often see your river bet as a blocking bet, intending to fold to a raise. So that makes me skittish about bet/folding. But most of the time he raises this river you're behind, so bet/call doesn't seem desirable.

Checking allows him to do what Hobbs does best -- value bet his ass off. This guy will value bet a needle into the head of a pin. Let him do it, then snap it off with your top 2. If he has you beat, you lose 1 BB. If not, he slaps himself for not taking the free showdown.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:59 AM

are you justifying the limp because you've been card dead therefore you haven't played hands and are bored? or because the table will be suspicious of you suddenly playing and be less likely to raise you? or some combination plus the table has been passive preflop?

i'd bet/call again on the river. but really, i'd expect to bet and get called. rarely you'll c/r and be 3/bet and be behind. somewhat frequently you'll check intending to raise and this will get checked through. so i like a bet.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:32 AM

My thought process after being card dead for a while:

Hmmmm I raise AJo here so limping T9s can't be thaaat bad.