Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-11-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Meditations on getting a Vespa

So as of tomorrow at noon, the TT will be returned to Audi. Yes, my lease is over I'd get a new car but to be honest I so rarely drive that I'm not sure if it is worth the monthly payments.

So I have been contemplating getting a Vespa and moving back to downtown NYC. I have never driven a scooter before, as a youth I had dreams of riding a totally mod scooter chromed out to the n'th degree with 10 mirrors - ala Jimmy in the movie Quadrophenia.

Since I'm a neophyte in the scooter world, there are lots of variables.

1) safety - I have lots of metal in my left elbow from a skiing accident, 4 screws holding me together. Perhaps riding a scooter isn't the smartest?

2) comfort - Will it be too cold in NYC to even consider riding 9 months out of the year?

3) clothing - what kind of clothing should I get to stay warm, while avoiding looking like a complete tool?

4) security - is there a theft problem? Where do I leave my bike when I am not riding it? How much is motorcycle parking usually in NYC parking lots?

5) Old or new - The classic bikes look the best, but maintenance is a bitch . The newer styled bikes are much friendlier and faster, but they are all automatic (I'm used to driving a stick, so I assume a clutch will be a no-brainer for me).

6) training - how do I learn to ride this thing? Should I get my motorcycle license before or after I get the scooter?

7) timing - I am moving to NYC in January I think. Should I get the bike now ($0 down, no interest for 365 days - program ends at start of December) or later (no need to change insurance/registration)

Lastly... what is your opinion of TT becoming a scooter boy?
?

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Meditations on getting a Vespa

Men should act like men, and light beer should taste like beer.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:11 PM

I vote on getting a decent used car or one with a low lease that you wont hate driving. Eh, scooters, I think I'm biased though.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:11 PM

Scooters are cool. But you might as well get a motorcycle.

I recommend this one.

It's Italian, just like your Vespa, so you'll very much be riding in style.

To answer some of your other questions.

1) I don't see how this makes a difference. Riding a scooter or motorcycle is inherently risky... regardless of previous injury. I don't see how this injury makes you any more susceptible to further injury.

2) Just bundle up and you'll be fine. It kind of sucks riding in the rain, though.

3) Good gloves and a thick jacket are important. At low city speeds you don't need to worry about full leathers or moulded body armor or anything like that. Just tough thick jeans and a thick jacket that won't flap around too much.

4) Can't help you there. Just don't know.

5) Get the Ducati. Take it to the dealer a lot.

6) Take a safety course. MSF?

7) Get it now; take the course, learn how to ride before you enter NYC traffic.

Finally, you will enjoy the scooter, even though I've been harping on the Ducati. Just learn how to ride safely.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:16 PM

Aren't the subways a lot more convenient than driving?
Old 11-11-2005, 08:16 PM

I've only ridden motorcycles, not scooters, and there are reasons for that. At the top of the list are: I want to be able to go fast when the mood/need strikes; I don't want to look like a douche; and I suspect it may actually repel women. There are more reasons, but I'll let others elaborate.

I can't imagine my only transportation in NY being on two wheels. I live in Tucson, AZ and I don't ride much in the coldest part of the winter. It's one thing to be able to comfortably stand 45 degree weather and quite another to do so when you're generating your own 40+mph winds. You can get riding gear that might keep you warm enough, but I imagine it would be pretty heavy duty and look completely mismatched on a Vespa. Also, consider road conditions. It's a bitch to ride in precipitation or on wet or icy roads.

If you decide to 2-wheel it, get your motorocycle license first. Take a class through a community college or something like that. It will help a ton.

Regarding security, you can get a wheel lock for protection, but nothing can stop people from just picking up your bike/scooter and putting it in the back of their pickup.

Conclusion: Get a motorcycle if you want something to tool around on when the weather is warmer, but have something with doors for winter.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:19 PM

Vespas are cute for chicks.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:22 PM

And?
Old 11-11-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
clothing - what kind of clothing should I get to stay warm, while avoiding looking like a complete tool?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some kind of flowing scarf would need to be a part of any riding ensemble.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:33 PM

Based upon almost zero empirical knowledge about you or Vespas, I don't think you should get a Vespa. If it looks like a moped, and acts like a moped, it's probably a moped. Except Italian and more expensive.