Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 11-04-2005, 01:19 AM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.
Default Firefox Not Opening

When I try to open the browser, it simply does nothing at all. No window opens, no dialog alerting me of an issue, nothing. When I open the task manager, it shows no evidence of the program running, but when I uninstall it says that it is. After a few prompts, it goes ahead with the uninstall, but that strikes me a weird.

I have uninstalled, reinstalled, and restarted several times, but nothing has changed. What am I missing here? Am I just a noob? Any help appreciated.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Firefox Not Opening

This will happen if you are out of disk space.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:34 PM

GO into Task manager and check the Processes tab for firefox.exe. If its there terminate it and try again.

I have had a few times where this process does not end and then Firefox will not start up again.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
GO into Task manager and check the Processes tab for firefox.exe. If its there terminate it and try again.

I have had a few times where this process does not end and then Firefox will not start up again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. This happens to me with Outlook quite often. Can't get it to open only to find 4 instances of it running under Processes.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:30 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

are you running any kind of apps (even systray ones) that have some sort of web scraping behavior and might be using firefox? if you run palm desktop sync for a palmpilot with outlook mail/calendar sync enabled it will 'run outlook' (even though it's not actually open), for example.

as far as an uninstall goes, go for a nuke approach:

- uninstall firefox

- delete the entire 'mozilla firefox' directory under 'program files' on your hard drive. if it claims you've got open files when you do this, it's definitely still running somehow. go through your system tray applications (icons in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen), close them all, and try deleting again

- delete your firefox profile. this will be in the 'documents and settings' directory on your hard drive. go there, open up the directory of your username. you'll need to view hidden files to see the 'application data' directory. if you can't see it, go to tools/folder options, click the 'view' tab, and checkbox 'show hidden folders and files'. go to the 'application data' directory and delete the entire 'mozilla' directory.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:07 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

Perfect. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2005, 09:09 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

worked? i hope from 'nuke' and all the deletions you inferred that your bookmarks and everything will get toasted here too. bookmarks.html is in the mozilla/firefox directory under docs and settings.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:15 PM

Yeah, I guess my profile was the problem.
Not a problem, I use google/ig for most of my bookmarks.