Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: A Fine Use Of A Firearm

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, the US system of incarcerating by far the highest proportion of people in the developed world has certainly kept crime levels low.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the greatest flaw in the system is the incarceration of so many non-violent offenders. I think prisons should be primarily for the incarceration of violent criminals, and that by far most non-violent offenders should be dealt with by other means. A change like that would greatly reduce the overcrowded prison populations.

Note that in Japan, some sort of system is in place which allows most criminals to agree to a restitution plan for the victim in lieu of serving prison time. I think this is good for numerous reasons, one reason being that it also significantly increases the likelihood of victims being made whole again.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Not So Fine Use of Firearms

"Tuesday night in Los Angeles was particularly violent. Shootings of seven people in the southern part of the city left one man dead and two others critically wounded within a 35-minute period. The night's violence began at approximately 6:45 p.m. when Ernest Williams, 17, was shot in the head."

<a href="http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=90009&amp;page=1
" target="_blank">http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=90009&amp;page=1
</a>

From 2002, but I don't think it would be too hard to find similar current stories.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So you have no response to the point that (ridiculously) high US incarceration rates have not led to low levels of crime? Figures.

[/ QUOTE ]

Figure this...

The US has "ridiculously high incarceration rates" because we have a ridiculously high number of criminals.

We have a ridiculously high number of criminals because we have a ridiculously high number of idiots who think they're not going to get caught.

We have a ridiculously high number of kids going through our public schools and not bothering to get an education.

We have a ridiculously high number of uneducated people of all ages wondering why they are not able to find anything other than dead-end, low-paying jobs.

We have a ridiculously high number of uneducated, unemployed people who want "stuff" and don't give a rat's ass about laws or other people.

We have a ridiculously high number people willing to do whatever they want, to get whatever they want, to whoever they want.

Still with me? Have I 'essplained it enough for you?

BTW, OP, I apologize for the highjacking.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:10 PM

Agreed.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:12 PM

Even if all that is the case, the hhigh incarceration rate doesn't seem to be doing much to counteract high crime.

What do you think the fundamental cause of all this idiocy as you see it is?
Old 10-01-2005, 01:15 PM

Start another thread and I'll join in. Over and out.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The homeowner said the burglar then tried to escape the same way he entered, by crawling underneath the cracked-open garage door, but he couldn't get out.

A frightened Dunn then raced inside and grabbed his .22 caliber rifle.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The gun may have saved Danny Dunn's life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not according to the story.

Still a justified shooting IMO, but you're really getting carried away here.

As for Felix, he's even further gone; he's advocating murder.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:25 PM

"As for Felix, he's even further gone; he's advocating murder."
Do you remember this part of the story?

"He came at me with a knife, he cut me on the hand, and on the face, I took 49 stitches total," Dunn told the TV station.

If you kill someone who stabbed you enough to require 49 stitches, then it is called self-defense. In the state of Texas under certain circumstances you can kill someone for trying to steal your property...... I don't think you know the difference between killing and murder....... Murder is a against the law. If you kill someone under a circumstance where the law says you can use lethal force, then it is a justified killing.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:39 PM

I think the greatest flaw in the system is the incarceration of so many non-violent offenders. I think prisons should be primarily for the incarceration of violent criminals, and that by far most non-violent offenders should be dealt with by other means. A change like that would greatly reduce the overcrowded prison populations.
Definately....
Reducing sentences for drug crimes would help immensely. Legalizing soft drugs such as marijuana would help as well. Giving someone life for having 200 lbs of pot in the trunk fo their car, while the average murderer leaves prison after 7-8 years is seriously dysfunctional process.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Not So Fine Use of Firearms

[ QUOTE ]

From 2002, but I don't think it would be too hard to find similar current stories.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, whoever finds the most stories wins [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]