Old 09-04-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Re: John Cole\'s Idea Of An Over-50 Forum Has Merit

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"with a few honorary members"??!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

....and just who is going to pick them?

[/ QUOTE ]

John Cole, since it was his idea in the first place; Ray Zee, since he could well be the wisest poster on all of 2+2; and Andy Fox, since he is easily one of the fairest and most considerate persons on this board.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:54 AM

So, attempting to clarify things when one is misquoted and misunderstood is somehow irrational?

You know, you might actually be right: maybe it is irrational.

Live and learn, I guess.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"with a few honorary members"??!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

....and just who is going to pick them?

[/ QUOTE ]

John Cole, since it was his idea in the first place; Ray Zee, since he could well be the wisest poster on all of 2+2; and Andy Fox, since he is easily one of the fairest and most considerate persons on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

John Cole I know & respect....Ray & Andy I know only from this forum, and also respect.

Respect, however, has absolutely nothing to do with it.

What is it with you and your continued insistence to control/moderate a political formum?
Old 09-04-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What is it with you and your continued insistence to control/moderate a political formum?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not interested in controlling or moderating an over-50 forum.

Actually, I was asked by Mat to moderate this forum. I have been trying to do the best I can, to try and help make it a more civil place for discussion, and with hopefully a higher signal-to-noise ratio.

Apparently, you and a handful of others take great exception to what I have been trying to do, for whatever various reasons.

C'est la vie, I guess.

I do think an "Over-50" forum would have a lot less posturing, backbiting, misquoting, one-upmanship, partisanship, name-calling and sundry other undesirable behaviors. I think there would probably be a lot to talk about--without having to wade through numerous juvenile pissing contests. In short, there would be a lot more wheat and a lot less chaff.

However it's not my idea; it's John's. So I just thought it deserved mention again.

As for the Three who would decide who gets an honorary membership--I was partially joking at least. Did it seem like I was totally serious? Well, you asked; I answered;-) Anyway, the over-50 forum might well be open to all--as Andy Fox has observed, it is doubtful if many of the topics would even appeal to the immature. It is even more doubtful that those interested in elevating piss-matches to an elite sport would be attracted to the forum.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not interested in controlling or moderating an over-50 forum.

Actually, I was asked by Mat to moderate this forum. I have been trying to do the best I can, to try and help make it a more civil place for discussion, and with hopefully a higher signal-to-noise ratio.

Apparently, you and a handful of others take great exception to what I have been trying to do, for whatever various reasons.

C'est la vie, I guess.

I do think an "Over-50" forum would have a lot less posturing, backbiting, misquoting, one-upmanship, partisanship, name-calling and sundry other undesirable behaviors. I think there would probably be a lot to talk about--without having to wade through numerous juvenile pissing contests. In short, there would be a lot more wheat and a lot less chaff.

However it's not my idea; it's John's. So I just thought it deserved mention again.

As for the Three who would decide who gets an honorary membership--I was partially joking at least. Did it seem like I was totally serious? Well, you asked; I answered;-) Anyway, the over-50 forum might well be open to all--as Andy Fox has observed, it is doubtful if many of the topics would even appeal to the immature. It is even more doubtful that those interested in elevating piss-matches to an elite sport would be attracted to the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

....M.....Again, you are entitled to your opinions above, but they should not be construed as fact. I believe that your actions have been consistent and contradict your denial of your point of view that the politics forum should be moderated for the good of.........whom?

It's very simple. If there is going to be ANY kind of POLITCS forum on 2+2, it needs to be unmoderated by any poster.

If 2+2 owners choose to moderate it themselves, I certainly respect that, as it is their forum.

For the sake of clarity, I am drawing a distinction between the Politcs Forum, and any other Forum on 2+2;

This opinion does NOT apply to any other forum.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:58 PM

If you have a problem with the fact that the politics forum is moderated by someone who is also a poster, and you think that no poster should moderate the politics forum, why don't you take it up with Mat?

I'll also note that my impression is that you are making a mountain out of a molehill. I have not warned, disciplined or restricted ANYONE based on their political views--and I certainly don't intend to begin doing that.

By the way, this thread has been hijacked quite a bit already--can we stop this line of discussion and have you take up your grievance with Mat if you see fit? Or, at least start another thread please.

This thread is about John's idea of an Over-50 forum--isn't it?
Old 09-04-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Re: John Cole's Idea Of An Over-50 Forum Has Merit

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be a worthwhile experiment. But I doubt 2+2 is interested in experimentation - though I could be wrong.

To help separate the wheat from the chaff, I suggest the ignore function - the physical ignore function provided by the operating software on this website, and the mental one, courtesy of Stoicism.

-Zeno
Old 09-04-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have a problem with the fact that the politics forum is moderated by someone who is also a poster, and you think that no poster should moderate the politics forum, why don't you take it up with Mat?

I'll also note that my impression is that you are making a mountain out of a molehill. I have not warned, disciplined or restricted ANYONE based on their political views--and I certainly don't intend to begin doing that.

By the way, this thread has been hijacked quite a bit already--can we stop this line of discussion and have you take up your grievance with Mat if you see fit? Or, at least start another thread please.

This thread is about John's idea of an Over-50 forum--isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it?

Or is it about the fact that you think that it's fine for you to introduce your ideology into any thread that you like, and not for anyone else to do so.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:11 PM

MMMMMM has made it clear that his/her opinions are the 'law' in this forum.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:31 PM

While you're creating this over-50 forum can you create a forum for People Who Think Just Like Me? Thanks.

Come on, MMMMMMMMMMMM. This is a message board, not a womb. If you want to participate in a forum where people look up to you and your ideas aren't questioned go teach at a nursery school.