Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 03:54 AM

Default Moving to LA in a month or two? Convince me...

I can't believe I'm actually posting in this forum, but I really couldn't find anywhere else to do it. This forum scares me greatly.

Anyways, my brother has probably found someone who is willing to take over my share of the lease on our current place, which would allow me to move out of San Jose, something I really, really, really want to do. I'm just sick of this city.

The place I would most likely want to move to is Los Angeles, and specifically somewhere in the West Los Angeles area since the rest of LA really isn't all that nice.

Now that being said, I've never actually lived in LA, just visited it many times. My brother used to live in Culver City and I stayed with him there for a few weeks once I enjoyed myself. I also head out to LA what seems like at least once a month for a little getaway. I enjoy the place, but I want to make sure it's not just some sort of illusion and I would actually enjoy living out there.

I really don't know too many people out there so I'd basically be friendless; this is probably the biggest thing stopping me. Guess I am kind of comfortable in San Jose and this would take me out of that comfort zone (which usually means it is something I should do, IMO). I would have to meet new friends, but at the same time I get to explore a new place.

Another slight consideration is that cost of living would probably go up a bit, especially since I don't know anybody which makes finding a roommate a bit tough.

I'm curious on anyone's take on any of those considerations. Also, for those of you who live in the greater LA area, how do you like it? What do you hate about it (traffic, etc) and what do you love about it?

Keep in mind weather, the beach, etc, aren't too big of pluses, since the weather is great and the beach is close to San Jose as well.

I know I enjoy my time out in Los Angeles more than my time in San Jose, but I think I'm looking for some sort of reason as to why that is aside from "there is more stuff to do".

That, and I need you guys to kick me in the ass and tell me to get out there immediately because San Jose sucks donkey balls. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:56 AM

Default Re: Moving to LA in a month or two? Convince me...

i live in jersey and LA traffic makes me want to kill myself
Old 08-24-2005, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i live in jersey and LA traffic makes me want to kill myself

[/ QUOTE ]

The traffic I think I can handle. I drive aggressive though not as crazy as Klepton (the little I saw in my tired haze when he almost killed us in my car). I've driven in LA traffic many times and it's really not that bad if you aren't a complete donk and plan your travel a bit

I imagine it only gets better as you get past my very basic understanding of the Los Angeles freeway system.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:00 AM

the whole "being friendless" is holding me back from moving from Western NY to Las Vegas...or LA area. it's a scary thought.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the whole "being friendless" is holding me back from moving from Western NY to Las Vegas...or LA area. it's a scary thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is, but that's what makes me think I should go for it. It really would be a good experience for me.

Also, Las Vegas sucks big donkey balls as far as living there. I don't know why bugstud or gonores think it's good. I'd be bored to death and the games suck.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:05 AM

you know better then i, but i was just there for a week and it took me 45 minutes to get like 20 blocks at 3 pm in a residential area
Old 08-24-2005, 04:05 AM

Look, here's the thing about friends. Most of them aren't worth having, and even fewer are worth keeping for the longterm. There are always new people in every location, and really, we're just looking for people to hang out with and pass time. These people exist everywhere. Being afraid of being friendless is living in the past and drawing too deep of a connection between the people you happen to know and yourself.

Now, that being said, there are people worth devoloping deep, longterm friendships with. Usually those will stand the test of time (especially when they are same-gendered friendships) and distance.

There are millions of people in every city, even I can make friends.

-Michael
Old 08-24-2005, 04:06 AM

He speaks the truth. There are really maybe 3 people I would miss. Being even slightly concerned about being friendless is very pansy. Someone please hit me.

Edit: And I didn't mean to say West LA is the only place in LA that is livable in. It's just the minimum for me. Obviously, Bel Air or something like that rocks and I could be convinced to move there for the right price.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:36 AM

mey metetron and meleader, ill move out to vegas or la or whatever. im bored. i am a hobo though.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
mey metetron and meleader, ill move out to vegas or la or whatever. im bored. i am a hobo though.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol awesome. i'll see you on the strip.