Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Please god make it stop!

Pfft, none of those are really bad beats. A bad beat is when T9o limp/calls your AA raise PF, then pushes a QQ8 flop when you bet 1/3 of your stack and backdoors a flush.

Also, playing the Stars 11r twice and finishing 31'st and 15'th out of 1200 something after ten hours of play pretty much sucks ass.

My month's not so fun, either. It'll get better, though, because they're still fish [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 04:28 AM

I'm in the midst of a bad run. Not terrible.

For the last three days, I've dropped about 10-20 buyins, and then finished close to even for the day. These are about 10 hour days too.

All of the bad beats are emotionally draining. I spend most of my time fighting my emotions with logic.

I try to remember that variance is a great part of poker.

Here's what it does (and you probably know this):
-Makes bad players think they are winners.
-Makes the game fun for players who are playing casually
-Weeds out the pros from the non-pros

This last point is what I try to focus on the most. Many people have the ability to beat the games that we beat. I believe many people with little natural talent could eventually be taught to beat at least the lower level games.

Us being able to beat the games isn't special, is what I'm saying. But having felt the pain of a downswing, I'm confident that not nearly as many players can stay off tilt, play well, or even continue to play at all.

I still get mad everytime I take a real bad beat, but it's really silly. What are we getting mad at? Chance doing what it's supposed to?

Evaluate your play constantly. Make sure you stay on your A game. If you can do this, be proud of yourself, because not many can.

Never play to get even, especially above your stakes. Be properly bankrolled, and it'll all even out.

Good luck.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:15 AM

Yep, you're spot on there. I'm lucky in that I don't really tilt and can see it for what it is, just the 25% chance or what have you that I lose, and if I play enough times they'll even out. So I don't tilt, although I do sometimes get a bit mad about it when they make a simply awful call etc. But then again, I ask myself, would I have preferred they didn't call? Well, ok, other than on the bubble perhaps, but otherwise I want them to call. I can just forget about a hand very quickly so I'm quite lucky. Actually the thing I worry about most is that people will _think_ I'm tilting, so when I have to push the next hand with K high and 4bb or what not, I'm more likely to be called, when I really don't want to be!
Old 08-04-2005, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Weeds out the pros from the non-pros

This last point is what I try to focus on the most. Many people have the ability to beat the games that we beat. I believe many people with little natural talent could eventually be taught to beat at least the lower level games.
Us being able to beat the games isn't special, is what I'm saying. But having felt the pain of a downswing, I'm confident that not nearly as many players can stay off tilt, play well, or even continue to play at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put. I began to feel a lot happier with my game when I realised the obvious, that is, to win a lot you will have to play a lot, and if you play a lot you are going to lose a lot. And if you cant deal with losing a lot, and keep playing you cant win.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:34 AM

Somebody posted yesterday PP is having problems with their RNG lately in that it keeps giving people with 3 outers those 3 outers...[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I had the unHoly Trinity bust out on Sunday. QQ, KK, AA all cracked for bustouts in consecutive games.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:13 AM

Glad to know I'm not the only one running cold.

Took 16 coinflips (pair v overs or overs v pair) on/near the bubble yesterday in 28 SNGs, lost 15. The only one i won was with 22 in the SB when the BB was forced allin with T5o (post/fold).

Lost 15 buyins yesterday, but that's variance. Try to be overbankrolled for the limits you play at so that you don't feel it affect you as much. I still have 100+ buyins for the $10s, so a $150 downswing doesn't seem as much.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Try to be overbankrolled for the limits you play at so that you don't feel it affect you as much. I still have 100+ buyins for the $10s, so a $150 downswing doesn't seem as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't help. I have 500 buyins and still hate being down 30. Basically since you never expect to use all your money as bankroll in the first place your mental bankroll is 30-40.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:32 AM

500? Isn't that extreme? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I only have 450. Will try for 50 more. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
500? Isn't that extreme? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I only have 450. Will try for 50 more. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am trying to withdraw at a steady pace but it just keeps growing. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 09:38 AM

Bad problem to have.

Are you still in the 22s are have you moved to the 33s now?