Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Have a good laugh at this one

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop, limping on the button in a multiway pot makes a huge range of flops dangerous to him. His small reraise makes it wrong for anyone to fold even if they know he has AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree the small reraise was bad. That's the thing I like least about this hand. As for limping, if he expected a raise behind him, I don't mind it so much if he plans to reraise bigger here. I like best a nice standard 4 BBs or so. So that was pretty bad. Postflop, in an SNG, where a huge chunk of opponents are not going to even put him on AA/KK based on his PF actions, and plenty others will play TPTK on this flop, I really can't see him getting away from this too often unless a fourth club comes.

[ QUOTE ]

I guess all you newbies out there don't get the concept of humor or irony. The purpose of this post was not to say "look how great I played this hand," but to show how his poor play opened up the door to his aces getting cracked.

[/ QUOTE ]

What humor or irony? You state all of this pretty explicitly, talking about how it's the worst play of AA ever. I guess you veterans have short-term memory problems. Or not much sense of what is humorous.

EDIT: Also, I'm not complaining about your playing of the A9s.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps the worst playing of AA ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen worse. In a .50/1 ring game on Party last October I saw two players each holding AA (in the same hand) just call and fold. Neither ever raised, and this was a limit game!. Ironically, they were "right" as the hand was won by a flush.

I'd post the HH, but it would take too long to find it.

GG
Old 05-28-2005, 11:08 AM

I think anyone who has played more than a week online will have seen AA played worse than this.

I must've been mesmerized by the limp-reraise from the button. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2005, 11:10 AM

As for limping, if he expected a raise behind him, I don't mind it so much if he plans to reraise bigger here.

He's on the button, it's a bit much to *expect* a raise behind him.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

He's on the button, it's a bit much to *expect* a raise behind him.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a vacuum, I agree. However, there are definitely some players who I think will pretty frequently pop this for a large amount from the SB or BB just to try and grab money from the limpers. So I can conceive of instances where it might not be totally unreasonable to think that a raise is pretty likely to happen. But yes, those are going to be the exception rather than the rule. As I said before, I think it's better to just make a standard raise there.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you're right. If I don't flop the nuts I lose 7% of my stack with 40 BB left. That's a real great reason to fold preflop getting 8:1.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't flop the nuts. You didn't lose 7% of your stack. See how that works? But hey, if it makes you feel better to criticize fish while you're limping and calling minraises and minreraises with any two because you're getting 8:1 odds with hands that are huge dogs in multiway pots, have at it! Just out of curiousity, how many more preflop raises were you willing to call from the sandwich position?
Old 05-28-2005, 12:15 PM

A9s is pretty far from any two. It's a holding that I would love to play in a multiway pot if I could kind of cheaply. He did flop the nuts. You're not making too much sense here.

At Stars there's generally a little more room for these kinds of plays.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:18 PM

every day someone calls an all-in from me with AJ on level 1 and u want me to get excited about a guy who didnt fold aces on tricky community cards? Dude join the party club , now!
Old 05-28-2005, 12:58 PM

Keep playing the nuts buddy.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you're right. If I don't flop the nuts I lose 7% of my stack with 40 BB left. That's a real great reason to fold preflop getting 8:1.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't flop the nuts. You didn't lose 7% of your stack. See how that works? But hey, if it makes you feel better to criticize fish while you're limping and calling minraises and minreraises with any two because you're getting 8:1 odds with hands that are huge dogs in multiway pots, have at it! Just out of curiousity, how many more preflop raises were you willing to call from the sandwich position?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like to judge people too harshly, but from what you write its clear that your knowledge of deep(er) stack NL tourney play is limited.

Kurn on the other hand ive respected for almost as long as ive been here.

Again, its not an any two type hand. And i know that if he flopped TPTK or even TPWK he would get away from the hand if under fire.

Phill