Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: I know the pot\'s huge, but...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he appears passive then I think the pf cap is bad as you're usually against AA or KK. If he seems to be an idiot then I like it more.

[/ QUOTE ]
My thoughts exactly. Your hand plays well multi-way, but not when AA is a likely hand for one of your opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's only a factor if AA is the only hand we're putting our opponent on - and remember there's still 2 other players padding the pot.

Regarding the PF cap I think that more important than equity, having a good hand that plays well multi-way or having the button is your position relative the to PF 3-bettor.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:06 AM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

I guess I should widen my hand range. Against even AA-JJ, AK, AQ, you're not in great shape. Yes, u have suited cards to fall back on and you have great position for ramming a flush draw. But if an ace or j flops, i don't know that u're in great shape here. I suppose the point is that u don't have great equity vs. typical LRR hands even if the other two in the hand are donks and have crap.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:28 AM

Kurn,

Nice to see you in small stakes. On to the hand.

Pre-flop: Nicely done. I like the pre-flop cap here.

Flop: I would just smooth call MP2's raise here. it may well get capped anyway which would be great and your hand would be disguised. But if it doesn't I still want one of these guys betting into me on the turn rather than gettin nervous I might have a Jack and checking to the raiser.

Turn: Plays itself.

River: You have to call here even though it doesn't look good. You are really getting 12:1 IMO and for all intents and purposes closing the action. UTG has KK or AA like a huge percentage of the time and will just make a crying call here.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose the point is that u don't have great equity vs. typical LRR hands even if the other two in the hand are donks and have crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

The most important point for me is keeping UTG in the lead throughout the hand. This allows for trapping the donkish players in between UTG and Hero at Hero's discretion. This is how Hero is going to maximize his profit on this speculative situation. I think it's best accomplished by smooth calling PF and allowing UTG to lead the flop - and hopefully the turn if Hero hits his hand
Old 05-11-2005, 11:50 AM

I haven't had a chance to read all of the other replies but as much as it hurts, this is a pretty easy fold, IMO. You look like you're beat in at least one spot and you don't close the action.

Luke
Old 05-11-2005, 12:02 PM

I think AK folds to the cap on the flop, so I'm not especially worried about a straight. I think UTG has AA or KK. Good chance MP2 has QQ, but without any read I'm not sure enough to fold. I'd need a read on a player before I'd give up this pot, especially since Qs full of Js is the only hand that's likely to beat me. I call, expecting to pay off. If it's reraised and MP2 rebets, I probably fold.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:09 PM

The most important point for me is keeping UTG in the lead throughout the hand. This allows for trapping the donkish players in between UTG and Hero at Hero's discretion.

Best point yet opposing the preflop cap.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:12 PM

Here is what you do. You cold-call. Then it gets raised and re-raised back to you. You agonize for a while and then fold. Then you curse yourself for the next couple of minutes for even calling the the two cold even though it was the right thing to do.

I think I would want a few more players in the pot before capping pre-flop and they would have to be the type who play any two cards. Its basically a pot equity issue and it could be correct even if UTG has AA if there are enough players and their hand selection is bad enough.

The flop and turn were played well.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:54 PM

Default RESULTS

When the action got to me, I closed my eyes and got ready to call - the pot was too big to fold - but then I got to thinking. UTG played the hand exactly like AA or KK, but MP2 had me confused. QQ was possible, AA & KK to a lesser extent, a similar AJs to mine. Hard to tell from his flop play what he had.

Eventually, I decided his raise only meant he could beat AA, most likely QQ, but the only hands I thought made any sense were AJs (1) and KJs (1). I didn't think AK was reasonable, so I called.

UTG had AA, MP2 had QQ and took down the pot.