Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Wisdom Teeth

[ QUOTE ]
You got the hammer?
They used a [censored] pair of pliers on me.
And they TOLD me they were taking them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. First they cut into my gums to get to the tooth. Then cut the tooth with a saw. Then they stuck a chisel in and hammered on it until the tooth cracked in half. Then they got the pliers and yanked 'em out.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:24 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
Just sleep a whole lot, is my suggestion.

[/ QUOTE ]
Done and done!
Old 03-28-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You got the hammer?
They used a [censored] pair of pliers on me.
And they TOLD me they were taking them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. First they cut into my gums to get to the tooth. Then cut the tooth with a saw. Then they stuck a chisel in and hammered on it until the tooth cracked in half. Then they got the pliers and yanked 'em out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta love the Navy doctors. Like they gave a [censored] about some Marine's wisdom teeth.

Good thing was about 2/3 of the way through the operation, the Doc shot me up again with the novacaine or whatever the hell it was...I got to talk like Bill Cosby for about 2 hours.

My boddomom libib. I can't feel my boddom libib.

Wish I'd gotten the N02.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:08 PM

I had my top 2 taken out a few years ago, and "recovery" was waiting for the novocaine to wear off. They say the bottom ones are more problematic since they don't drain as well.

If you can get the nitrous, go for it. In fact, see if they'll give you 20 pounds to take home. I guarantee it'll make the next few days more pleasant [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gotta love the Navy doctors. Like they gave a [censored] about some Marine's wisdom teeth.

[/ QUOTE ]

At MCRD San Diego we were fortunate enough that several of the dentists were reservists that actually had civilian practices and were pretty darn good at what they did. In boot camp I actually slept through a root canal. Damn I musta been tired. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Most of the Marines I knew on Okinawa that had work done said that was not the case there. Fortunately the wisdom teeth were the only thing I had done there.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:57 PM

I had mine extracted in 2002. All 4 were impacted, one of them was actually completely sideways. They put me out, pulled them, and I woke up in recovery. Had to have it done about 150 miles from home for insurance reasons, but by we got home the vicodin had kicked in. I never went off solid food, took one day off of work is all, and was back working. If you take a few days off of drinking and chewing tobacco you'll probably heal quickly. They prescribed an antibiotic as a precaution for me so I took that. The painkillers were not necessary after one or two days and I have almost no pain tolerance.

It did take almost 2 years for the rest of my teeth to move back and fill the gap from the wisdom teeth though. I still need to get a bunch of dental work done but I'm a poor uninsured college kid so it'll have to wait.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:12 PM

i got local anaesthesia and didn't feel too much afterwards except being a little woozy from the pain meds that i took. i was 100% the next day. don't get general anaesthesia it is for softies and you'll be out of order for a couple days at least.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:19 PM

My 16 year old had his taken out last Monday. He was knocked out and had all four taken out as well as another procedure (his 12 yr molars haven't come in yet, and he's already had his braces off, I'll be pissed if they screw up his teeth now...). He was pretty out of it for the rest of that day and the next. They gave him Vicodin and it helped a lot. He was basically OK by Wednesday, but took it easy. His swelling was gone by Friday. Whole procedure took less than 45 mins.

When I had mine out when I was 18 I was totally out of it for 3 days. It hit me hard.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:41 PM

got all 4 out almost a yr ago. iv drip, so don't remember anything at the office. just a little bit when i was leaving. i surpisingly didn't bleed much. but i made up for that with the swelling. got them out on fri and the swelling was still noticable on wed.
as for the painkillers, i got Oxycodine. so i had one of those every so often and was fine. sat infront of the tv with an ice pack and basiclly watch family guy from start to finish. but if u think u don't really need one don't take it. i was in school and the drugs kicked in so i wasn't getting anything done for a good hr.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:46 PM

I had 4 happy wisdom teeth, until my 3rd year dental student girlfriend decided it would be fun to 'clean' them.
Which led to a quite painful infection, so I had to have them out.

On the plus side, they told me that I couldn't keep the teeth once they were extracted, but they did allow her to take them when she asked. Two of them had chunks of bone attached to the roots, which was pretty cool.

I have found that I have to chew longer now, due to having fewer teeth.