Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 02-12-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Stud/8 Tourney hand

'Stars $20 + 2 multi last night. 184 started, 16 left. We're now all in the money, but the real prizes are the final 4 or so. I'm 11/18 with 10,875. Limits are 1500/3000, 200 ante.

KURN: (Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 2: (XX) 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (22,798)
Seat 3: (XX) 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Seat 4: (XX) J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 5: (XX) K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 6: (XX) A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 7: (XX) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Seat 8: (XX) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (15,611)

I bring it in for 500, get called by seats 2 & 8. (3100)

4th St.

KURN: (Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 2: (XX) 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Seat 8: (XX) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Seat 8 checks, I bet, both call. (7600)

5th St.

KURN: (Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 2: (XX) 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 8: (XX) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked around (7600)

6th St.

KURN: (Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 2: (XX) 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 8: (XX) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Seat 2 checks, I bet, both call. (16,600)

River: I catch the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Seat 2 checks, I check, Seat 8 bets, Seat 2 calls.....

Action is on me. My play?

Comments? My action and results later.

Crossposted to MTT board.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Stud/8 Tourney hand (errata)

Noticed an error in my post. The action on 6th & 7th streets is wrong. SEat 8 has the high board and acts 1st.

6th St. should read: Seat 8 checks, I bet, both call.

The river should read: Seat 8 checks, I check, Seat 2 bets, seat 8 calls...
Old 02-12-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Stud/8 Tourney hand

I would fold fourth. I would check fifth and probably call one bet. It looks like the guy behind you has made a low, so you're playing for half of a very small pot and you have one pair. Folding can't be too far wrong. On the river, your call closes the action. The guy with open Sixes sure seems like he was on a low draw, so he could as easily be calling with a low as with two pair. I pay it off.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:08 PM

Default RESULTS

I would fold fourth.

Bad play on my part there on a couple of levels. In a cash game the bet is clearly wrong. Maybe close to the bubble in a tourney I can steal a pot either on 4th or 5th, but we'd just come off the bubble and I failed to account for the fact that people tend to loosen up then.

The guy with open Sixes sure seems like he was on a low draw, so he could as easily be calling with a low as with two pair. I pay it off.

Unfortunately, I folded, thinking he wouldn't be calling with just an 8 low. His first 2 hole cards were 75, so he was drawing at a straight on the end. His 66 held up for the high. We went on break after that and I spent the break banging my head on the wall. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

Well, if you had called on the end and been beaten by one or the other of them, you would have beaten your head against the wall about that. If you're going to fold the river, you might as well fold sixth.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Stud/8 Tourney hand

i don't like the way you played this hand... since you have so few chips relative to the betting limits, i would make the decision to commit to this hand, or give up the bring in... you played it in a very wishy-washy manner... if you bet on 4th st representing a 4-card low (which will almost never work in this situation, because why didn't you bring it in for the full bet if you had a decent 3-card low?), then you have to bet on 5th to try to get the pot heads up against the pair of 6s, who you must assume you can beat quite easily if you can pair up one of your big cards (why would he check on 5th? no one slowplays anything at this point in a tournament)... also on the river you simply HAVE to call... you will either have 2000 or 5000 chips, so it is unlikely you will be going too much further in the tournament anyway, and you have everyone's boards beat, so call that last bet... you are getting 11 to 3 on the high end of the pot

mike