Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 02-09-2005, 10:22 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.
Default Big draw, possibly on tilt

PS $10+1 tourney, 50/100 blinds. About 5 hands prior my stack was more than cut in half when MP1's 89o sniped my bullets. I've been at the table just over an orbit, I've seen BB steal once and that's it.

converter

MP3 (t3535)
CO (t470)
Hero (t3034)
SB (t1810)
BB (t3040)
UTG (t2160)
UTG+1 (t2865)
MP1 (t7320)
MP2 (t3695)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t100, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t500</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t400, MP1 folds.

Flop: (t1150) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1000</font>, BB calls t800.

Turn: (t3150) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1534 (All-In)</font>, BB calls t1534.

Final Pot: t6218

Weak flop bet followed by a cold call. What in the world is he holding? Should I just take the free card on the turn and give myself a chance if I don't hit? Thanks,
Old 02-10-2005, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Big draw, possibly on tilt

i figure he has medium pair (jj to 55) or ak-a9 (maybe a10) to call your pf raise (maybe trapping with aa but i doubt it). once he calls your flop raise, you have to figure you're behind - aj (maybe kj or a10 but i doubt it) is my best bet. i check the turn and hope for the free card. if you don't get it i call his turn bet with at least 9 outs (probably a lot more with 2 overcards and nut straight draw). i just don't see him going away with a push after that flop raise call (his pot odds are too good for what he's probably holding), and your last 1500 could be better used than by pushing here. curious to see what everyone else thinks.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:30 AM

One thing I have noticed about these tiny flop bets is that they are very rarely followed by big turn bets. Usually it means one of two things. 1. I have a draw and I want to see it cheaply or 2. I have a monster and don't want to lose you. If its one, well thats fine, you are drawing bigger, if its two then he has a set or two pair and you can draw for a great price. Call the flop bet. If he checks the turn make a 1/2 sized pot bet. If he makes another small bet, call it again. I don't like raising here on a draw unless the stacks are either much deeper, or shallow enough that you can raise all-in.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:39 AM

What about minraising as opposed to calling to get a free river card? I find that this works suprisingly often.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:49 AM

i would rather call the min twice (or the min once and twice the min once), than min raise and risk being repopped by a real hand. I find the idea of getting myself free cards to not be all that applicable in NL tourneys. Sure its nice when the turn gets checked through but generally it costs too much on the flop to set up a free turn card. If I'm raising I'm doing it to an amount that i think gives me FE (which is sometimes the min but not all that often).
Old 02-10-2005, 02:49 AM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

I'm still trying to find the right balance and timing to unleash my aggression. I feel weak giving up control of the hand for such a small bet. But I've already built a pot, so I guess if he wants to let me draw out cheaply I should oblige.

Thanks for the advice.